*HELP ME* installing firefox on redhat

• Artchy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a huge virus so i decided to switch to linux, now i have red hat 9 (thinking of changing to Ubuntu though). Please note that I am new to linux in general and be sure to add detail if you plan on replying to this, also write your post as if you were talking to someone with no or a small bit of experience.

So, how do i install firefox on red hat 9? so far i downloaded it, and under "/home/nick" i have
"firefox-2.0.0.4.tar.gz" i opened that, and extracted its contents. now i have "firefox" under "/home/nick". what do i do now?

all help appreciated greatly.

-Artchy :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If there is a make file, type
make && make install
at the prompt when you're in that directory.
There may be a README file which will explain the install procedure. Read that first.
  • mustu
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Lahore, Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hiz!
Buddy First of ALL I would suggest you to put Fedora 7 on your system Instead of Redhat 9. For your information after RHL 9 RedHat introduces two platform 1) RedHat Enterprise Linux for business solutions with a paid subscription and update support. 2) Fedora Core that is renamed into just Fedora with the release of Fedora 7. This is also a robust, much stable, secure and with a wide range of online support forums/mailing list distro. because it is the main invention platform for RHEL. Technologies successfully Tested on Fedora are then ported into RHEL. Although Fedora has much more support available online then Ubunto.

Now for your problem... Just extract the directory as u had . move this library to /usr/lib

you have a file name simply 'firefox' in the folder u got after extracting.. that is the main executable file to run firefox. Make a shortcut link of this file into the /usr/bin directory. Now you can run firefox by typing the command firefox.. Or make an application launcher on ur desktop.

cheers
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are using any relatively new version of Red Hat or Fedora, you shouldn't need to compile your own binary. Just use yum to install the package by running the following command in a terminal, as root:
Code: [ Select ]
# yum install firefox

Voila. Done.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts