help with centos 4.7 server software

• janthony
  • Born
  • Born
  • janthony

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the software loaded, but as it is loading it asks for local host user name and password. I dont ever remeber it asking me for one. i raelly am probly doing some thing wrong. I just wanted to convert my old desktop into a sever whick i can store all my personal music and video files on. that way I can access them through my home network when I need them. so i laoded the centos 4.7 server os on the computer. is this wrong? and how about the local host username and password?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never used Cent OS but I did the same thing with FreeBSD. I use it for an in house server on my LAN, no remote access.

It should have asked you for a root password during the install. If you don't remember what you did, try:
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/vie ... c_id=11548
  • janthony
  • Born
  • Born
  • janthony

Post 3+ Months Ago

i do remember my root password but when the program starts it asks for a localhost username and during setup it does not ask for this to be created
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

What program are we talking about? Are you getting a login box with localhost in it as a user name? Have you tried your root password?

When I setup FreeBSD as a server, after the installation, I enabled SSHD and FTPD and that was it. Then I could transfer files with FTP from any machine on the network and use SSH for configuration, also from any machine.

You shouldn't need anything else.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts