Help with FreeBSD

• Zenter
  • Born
  • Born
  • Zenter

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, I've been using windows for so long my brain has started to fry, therefor I decided to install FreeBSD.

My first problem is about Xorg. I installed Xorg via the ports from the CD.
After using the xorgconfig command, it did not write the file.
I had to use xorgcfg to make it write the file xorg.config.new then edit it for my needs and place it in the correct folder.
So far so good, however, the startx command has never worked for me, I've gotten a numerous amount of errors and it wouldn't start.
So I tried xdm Xorg and I got it up, after that I made a custom Kernel.
I can not tell if Xorg messed up before or after I booted with the Kernel, but I can no longer see anything other than the system log in xorg, the xterm doesn't pop up, or anything else. I can not click the background and bring up the xterm either. Help?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I might be jaded, but congratulations for picking such an outstanding OS to migrate to. :)

If this is your first foray into the world of Unix, you may wish to start with an easier install of FreeBSD -- especially if you intend to run X.

Here's two links;
http://www.pcbsd.org/

This is a full install via graphical shell, for Desktop FreeBSD newbies. Answer a couple of yes/no questions, hit 'next', etc. et al.

http://www.freesbie.org/

This is a LiveCD of the 5.x branch -- which can also be installed directly to HD. While this one is easier to install, it requires several scripts (albeit easily retrieved) to convert it to a true FBSD box. (Copy of the ports collection, /stand/sysinstall, etc. )

I have yet to run the first one, though I have burned the ISO to CD and started it up in a PC to view the initial options.
The latter I have installed on a PC and in a VMware session with great success.

I would suggest you try the first, initially.

If you are hell-bent on making you present install work, you will have to provide the errors.

Also, just because you load up xorg, does not mean you have a window manager loaded. (XFCE, KDE, Gnome, etc.).

Which way do you want to go?
  • Zenter
  • Born
  • Born
  • Zenter

Post 3+ Months Ago

I talked to a guy who said Xorg acts like that (not showing terminals and stuff) When a gui like gnome kde etc is not installed.
I've installed gnome, and he told me to make/edit the file .xinitrc and add "exec gnome-session" and told me that when I then typed startx it would load gnome. However, when I DO type startx nothing happens. It just stands still and I have to press ctrl+c.

Part of why I want to install FreeBSD is to show my friend that I CAN make it work :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just because you use pc-bsd does not imply you can't make it work -- however if you feel the need to "prove" it, that *does* imply that you are trying to convince this friend to make the effort.

If that is the case, I suggest making it easier on your friend, by utilizing the simple installers such as previously mentioned.

Just "stands still"? Type 'xinit' -- this should display errors at the command line.

What about /var/log/Xorg.log.0?
  • Zenter
  • Born
  • Born
  • Zenter

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well yeah, I have a lot of spare time, asked my friend which distrubution I should install, he recommended FreeBSD, Said it was powerful, but moderatly hard to install and configure. :)

I will start from the first error. After I turn it on, and the booting process is complete this comes up:

Initial i386 initialization: ibcs2module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (ibcs2, 0x2821ea0,0) error 45.

I don't know how relevant that is to my problem, but since you're the master and I'm the n00b I was hoping you could make sense of it.
After typing startx this time, it did try to start up using the xorg.conf file. It ended by saying "Trying to shut down X server" or something similar.
The log shows these errors that I could recognize:
(WW) 'fonts.dir' not found (or not calid) in "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo".
Entry deleted from font path.
(Run "mkfontdir" on "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/".
(WW) 'fonts.dir' not found (or not calid) in "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID".
(Run "mkfontdir" on "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/".

Last in the line before the command prompt comes up after a failed attempt at startx is:
%: not found
Is that referring to the .xinitrc file?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zenter wrote:
Well yeah, I have a lot of spare time, asked my friend which distrubution I should install, he recommended FreeBSD, Said it was powerful, but moderatly hard to install and configure. :)

I will start from the first error. After I turn it on, and the booting process is complete this comes up:

Initial i386 initialization: ibcs2module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (ibcs2, 0x2821ea0,0) error 45.

So does it hang during that error? Press Ctrl T to see the process that is hung. As for the MOD_LOAD, check /var/log/messages to find out additional details. What version of FreeBSD is this anyway? There was a problem with IBCS, which is a binary compat kernel mod, but that was back in 5.1.

Zenter wrote:
I don't know how relevant that is to my problem, but since you're the master and I'm the n00b I was hoping you could make sense of it.
After typing startx this time, it did try to start up using the xorg.conf file. It ended by saying "Trying to shut down X server" or something similar.
The log shows these errors that I could recognize:
(WW) 'fonts.dir' not found (or not calid) in "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo".
(Run "mkfontdir" on "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/".
(WW) 'fonts.dir' not found (or not calid) in "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID".
(Run "mkfontdir" on "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/".

Last in the line before the command prompt comes up after a failed attempt at startx is:
%: not found
Is that referring to the .xinitrc file?

How exactly did you build gnome?
Run xinit (not startx) and then provide the last part of the Xorg.log (most recent) file as well as the messages file in /var/log.
Also, remove the entry in your .xinitrc file pointing to gnome -- one thing at a time.

You may have missed some important details for Gnome if you did not use the ports collection.

BTW, PC-BSD *IS* FreeBSD, as is Freesbie. They are simply different methods of install.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts