Help with red hat 9 graphics card

• kalesh
  • Born
  • Born
  • kalesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just installed red hat 9 and have NVidia Ge force 2 graphics card the card is installed and can be seen in the hardware browser but I cannot find a way to switch my dispaly from intergrated graphics to the card
I want switch my display to the graphics card and make it the default display.
Thanks for any help in advance
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

by "from integrated graphics to the card" you mean you can't make it use nvidia drivers? right? b/c the only way the integrated graphics would be used instead of your nvidia card is if the monitor was plugged into the onboard graphics port and not into your card.

but i'd say if you mean you dont want to use the default drivers, go to nvidia's website and download / install the drivers for linux.
  • kalesh
  • Born
  • Born
  • kalesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I have downloaded the drivers and installed them.
My monitor is plugged in the intergrated graphics but when I plug it into the graphics card it goes blank
The graphics card can be seen in the hardware browser but I can't get it to work
P.S. I'm new for linux just installed yesterday
  • dhess
  • Born
  • Born
  • dhess

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will probably need to disable the onboard video in the BIOS settings in order for your processor to use the Nvidia card. If I understand your problem correctly.

You are not trying to get both video out signals working at the same time are you? I'm not saying it wouldn't work, I'm not sure.

In the past, when ever I have had a better video card than the onboard card, I would go into the BIOS settings and disable the onboard video and the system would recognize and use the fancy new card.
Hope this helps. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts