Help with Redhat Linux 9.0!

• phAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Iñ§Idè yºúr mIñÐ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just got my first linux and im installing it on my old comp (I have windows XP on this one) And I get through the installation and when i put in disk 2 it says there was an error this may be caused by memory hardware media etc.. but when I installed the text version it worked just fine its just i am new to linux (never used it) and i get in by typing

Root
pass

then i am at the screen and dont know what to do so i try to install graphical again and get the same problem as before, it says memory needed: 128 and I have 111 i think, and I cant install it on this comp because my family uses it. I dont exactly have enough money to get a new comp but i do have $80. Any suggestions? Maybe I should buy more RAM for it to work? (Could probably get up to recommended 192)

Oh yeah donations are welcome :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know how you got 111 mb of ram, but who know!

Have you tried XF86config? or startX? That will take you to the x windows manager if your graphics card is working.
  • phAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know how I got it either but thats what it says
anyway I think i know that it is a memory problem..
  • phAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

also now that it aborted the install It doesnt load windows all it does is load dos with a blinking

_

and you cant really do anything but i guess I will try
  • phAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i talked in mIRC to those guys in #redhat and they said the disk could be bad, so i am testing media right now
  • phAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

well that wasnt it so trying

Linux ide=nodna
  • phAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

:. Error Installing Package .:
There was an error installing openoffice - 1.0.2-4. This can indicate media failure, lack of disk space, and/or hardware problems. This is a fatal error and your install will be aborted (After an hour and 1/2 OF INSTALLING!) Please verify your media and try your install again.

Can anyone help? I have tested the CD's and they all Passed.. Ive tried low res, nodna, and it works fine in text mode. But i am missing half of the install if I do that! I cant go into graphical mode because that error comes up after I insert disk 2.
  • phAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I tried taking office tools off of the installation menu, and it seems to be working.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

once the installation is done just go back and RPM the openoffice package from the cd (man rpm for help).

I had problems similar to this while installing slackware, and I am pretty sure it was my cdrom drive. Luckily all the files that couldn't be installed were nothing important and very easily installed after initial setup was complete.

Don't worry about it :)
  • phAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, this is my first time using linux so I couldnt install it on my good comp. Its on an HP Pentium II.. very old -_- ..
the only problem I have now is that my ethernet card is not compatiable (It has a kingston), so I can't connect to the internet with it. To solve this should I just go out and buy a new card?
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, don't go buy a new ethernet card just because Red Hat doesn't support it! Go find and install the driver, I'm sure there is one out there that will work. :wink:
  • phAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cant find a kingston driver for that thing >=\
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some Kingston models seem to require this "Tulip" driver: http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
Scroll down to where it says "Ethercards reported to use the DEC Tulip chips" and see if your model is on there.
  • phreakdaddy13
  • Born
  • Born
  • phreakdaddy13
  • Loc: Rio Grande Valley/Mexico Border

Post 3+ Months Ago

with 80 bucks, you should be able to get enuff RAM to support GUI mode so get that RAM and upgrade to an X-window
  • phreakdaddy13
  • Born
  • Born
  • phreakdaddy13
  • Loc: Rio Grande Valley/Mexico Border

Post 3+ Months Ago

You said you only had 111 megs os RAM, it's probably showing that amount bcuz you are using the rest of the installed RAM as shared memory with some of your system devices, upgrade that memory & learn how to po MicroSucks TTYS out of your mouth!!! LOL

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts