help withdual boot installation with fedora 5 and windows xp

• biruru
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • biruru
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, it's my first time setting up a dual boot and I want to know the correct procedure of creating the partition and completing the installation. Can someone show me what is the best partition setup for my 160 gig ide drive in creating a dual boot. I have 1 gig of ram, ati radeon 9800pro. I would like to share files between windows xp and fedora. I don't know how to partion the drive up.
I want about 20-25 gig for windows xp, and 80 gig or so for files and data and the rest for fedora, but how should i partition fedora for booting, swap,etc.
also, which drivers are good for ati radeon card?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok first things first your going to have to install windows first otherwise it will overwrite without consent any bootloader you might have. if you want to be able to share files between OS then your going to need a FAT32 partition where your going to store anything you want to be shared between both OS. linux writing to ntfs is very exparimental and not recommended though it can read from it just fine. FAT32 on the other hand is universal and can be read and written to by most OS which is why you want a seperate partition with it. the way i have my pc set up is 30 gigs for xp another 30 gigs for linux and then the rest to a FAT32 partition where i store all my music and games etc. so when you install windows you are going to make a partition that is ntfs make it as big as you want and thats the one your going to install xp on. after you make that partition make a second with as much space as you want and make it FAT32. leave the rest as raw data because that is going to be used by fedora. proceed to install windows. after everything is done begin the fedora installation. go through and have it partition the raw data to what it needs (should do most of it on its own without much configuration needed. not too familiar with fedora installation so not entireley sure). just make sure that when it asks for a bootloader have it install to the mbr. if i remember correctly fedora should detect your windows partition and will automatically include it into the bootloaders configuration.

if you have any further questions or need me to clarify anything feel free to ask.
  • biruru
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • biruru
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, Enjoi_Panda_Man thanks for clearing some things up for me. I want to know that when i install fedora with the remaining raw data space, what is the best way to partition the / for root, /boot, /swap and what is the necessary require space for each of them. For swap since i have a 1 gig of memory, is it better to make it 2 gig or leave it at 1 gig. Also, for the video card drivers, since i have ati 9800 pro radeon, which drivers are compatible and best for it. atifrgl?

Thanks,
Biruru
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

fedora should have a function where it automatically makes the partitions and allocates appropriate sizes for them with the raw data you issue it but if you want to do it manually be my guest. boot doesnt need to be big. 32 megs should be sufficient. swap is totally up to you i mean since you have 1 gig of memory you probably dont need it to be terribly big. perhaps 512 megs at max? unless you want to go for more or less. its really up to you. root will take up the remaining of your raw data that you have decided to allocate for linux. this is where everything will be stored. as for ati on linux. godspeed. ive had terrible luck with it. i tried a long time ago when i was still a linux noob. things didnt go down nicely. havent tried since. just hit up the ati website i think they have a 1 download for all distros type thing. im not sure. they made some changes to their drivers since the last time i tried installing ati driver. you should have no problem using the ati card to display stuff but you wont have 3d acceleration till you get the drivers installed. perhaps someone else can help you with that.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

fedora will partition the remaining space the way it needs to be. all you have to do is select the option during the installer.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts