high server load

• krisuk
  • Born
  • Born
  • krisuk

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a linux server running plesk (post image link for sepcs)
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1769/myload120090526164655.jpg
my site roughly has 300 active members and 1500 daily active
from the image you can see the load aint very good, iv just changed the mysql config in hope it would reduce the load, but the load stays around the same and now using abit more memory then i was before
my site runs ok how it is just would like a low load
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Naturally, adding memory will boost up performance. Do you have a swap partition? If not, it might be a good idea to do that. Also, how many hard drives do you have? It might be a bit more work than you want to get yourself into, but maybe adding a few hard drives and running a RAID5 will speed things up a bit, then you would have multiple hard drives retrieving data from the database instead of just a single.

And stop any services you don't need running. You know, stuff like the bluetooth manager and whatnot (stuff that is running but not being used), and maybe even ditch the gui and go strictly CLI.
  • krisuk
  • Born
  • Born
  • krisuk

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you for your reply
theres 8gb of ram and 8gb swap (swap not been used)
running raid10 4 x 1TB sata hdd's
im gonna run through services now and sto pany running which are not needed,
i access the server via ssh most times but use plesk from time to time as easier (im noob to linux)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't agree that throwing more memory at it will necessarily boost your utilization rate thus decreasing load. Some applications use uncapped JVM's which can consume more resources if more are available to them.

Where I do agree is look at what are the primary consumers, and look to reduce those. No server should be running a generic kernel; always trim your kernel down to bare minimum and recompile.

The GUI is a killer. Aside from being a hog, running a GUI is far more insecure than not. (Note: I say GUI referencing the environment of the machine itself (KDE, XFCE, Gnome, etc.; not a web panel).

You could cap certain processes to limit the amount of memory they consume; there's numerous ways to do this depending upon which architecture you employ. YMMV.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're only using half of your memory (not even) in that screenshot.

I would be taking a look at my applications and seeing if there's some things that get processed on every request that could actually be cached in memory.
  • effim
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Load averages on *nix are complex, but a good rule of thumb is that an average load of 1 for each cpu core is ideal. Running 4-8 as shown in the screenshot isn't high-load at all, especially when you consider that the load average isn't saying that the system does or doesn't have the resources to process all of the requests.

If you're not getting good performance out of your website, it's probably due to a single bottleneck. You might be using less than ideal SQL queries or poorly optimized tables, or you could be reading/writing to the HDD too much. Perhaps your software server (apache most likely) isn't configured to be very high performance or just doesn't have enough child processes spawning (assuming prefork). Every application is different, and it really takes diving into the application and looking at how the system is performing to say for certain what needs fixing.
  • krisuk
  • Born
  • Born
  • krisuk

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you for all your replies
my site seems to run fine i just thought load looked high,
but for apache i will need to look into tweaking as its set as default just now,
my site hits about 13,000 connections per hour so its just working out the best config
  • Deem3n
  • Born
  • Born
  • Deem3n

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try to switch to nginx. Is much more faster than apache.
Also you can check the guide: Debian LAMP + nginx installation for high-loaded webservers to see how is implemented image caching to reduce load average.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts