I am hooked

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love linux now, everytime I use it I get drawn into it even more. I have mad issues going on with my distribution and my computer but it is real fun trying to fix it, and I am learning a lot of things that I had forgotten since dos.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yay! :-D Glad you like it, what distro are you using?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

right now I am using fedora core 1. It is pretty lean and powerful, that is for now until I get everything installed on it correctly. I also went ahead and got slackware 8.1 on my kids computer (32 mb ram, pentium MMX), which installed correctly, but I am having some trouble getting it configured correctly. Sure it is a user error.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why not use 9.1? Anyhoo what's the problem with it?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well it is old, and i am not even sure it would run 9.1...anyway i can't get x to run on it. I think it is something with my boot loader. (Which I have none) right now I am booting off the setup cd...which is probably why i can't run x. So next I am going to install grub. I wipped out all partitions and data on the hard drive, so dos is gone. I saved a partition to put in a boot loader. I thought that the install cd would have done that for me. I still don't know a whole lot of unix commands, but I can get into root. Just not sure what to look for. I am way new so I am just going to have to find my way through it.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should be able to boot from the CD as if it was a boot disc. If you follow the directions above the boot: prompt when it comes up you should see to boot from /dev/hda1 or something along those lines. Just replace hda1 with whichever hd has your kernel on it.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, and I boot up with it. But I was expecting to boot into gnome or kds Like I do with fedora, but I don't. I just need to figure out if there is something more that I need to configure to do that
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah there is, I don't remember exactly how to do it, but you should be able to start into a windows manager. I never do, I just log in then type "startx"
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool man, that did it for me! thanks a lot!
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yup yup, enjoy :)
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I started learning allot of things on linux i have it installed every where, I am learning allot of commands and other cool things, and i really love it, and its my target now, even this post i wrote it from my linux machine, lol :D :D :D :D
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The last 1000 or so posts I wrote have been from this linux box :-P
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I only made one post while in linux. There are a lot of subtle differences with IE and mozilla. And I now see what everyone is saying about my header on my website. It really is bad.

There is a lot of work to do to configure everything in linux, and I really enjoy doing it. Although the first 10 times that I have used Fedora I had to reinstall because I messed up the configuration. Some boxes seem to need more installed and configured.

This one in fact needs a fix for the integrated graphics 845g chipset, to get the resolution right. I feel liike I am in preschool with 640x480...but I am getting closer to fixing it, and it is real fun doing it. (luckily I finally learned how to copy files and replace them from the command line, so I do not have to reinstall!)

It's funny some of the things you take for granted about computers using windows so much. Windows has made me stupid, and I think that is the real problem with Windows.

But I found the cure! lol
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh man! I'm quoting you sometime ;)

Quote:
Windows has made me stupid, and I think that is the real problem with Windows.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think i have reached the 100 posts of my machine "yet"

when i saw my webpage through firefox, i was surprized too, big differences, but trying to do the changes slowly.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love my linux box :) I started learning some basic stuff in the command line and getting things to work I've also been looking into what I will be able to do in the future and am quite excited :)

I agree windows makes you dumb, even if you know how to do a lot in it. you are still pretty dumb. The problem is, a lot of people like being dumb.

I'm still using my windows install mainly :oops: because I just haven't got the time to learn. I really wish I could just quit my job and spend all that time learning linux and PHP.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with you 100% there. Sometimes I wish I were stuck in my room for like a month. There just simply doesn't seem to be enough time to do anything that we want to do
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac wrote:
Sometimes I wish I were stuck in my room for like a month.

Haha I spend most of my free time in my room, I don't go out half as much as I used to! I still just can't find the time. I want to know everything!

It doesn't help that I'm easily distracted, so I set myself some goals of stuff I was going to try out on linux (all basic newbie stuff), but then think of something else to investigate all the time.

Now my mobo is broke I have to wait till monday till the new one comes :(

I guess I will have to spend my weekend in the real world....
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

omg, that must really suck! Although a new mother board would be hella nice!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac wrote:
omg, that must really suck! Although a new mother board would be hella nice!

breaking my computer or the real world? :wink:

Yeah I'm not sure if just the mobo or the mobo and the processor died, so i had to buy a new, faster cpu :lol: [/i]

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts