How do i access root command line to...

• elektros75
  • elektros75
  • Loc: wash dc, it's dirty

Post 3+ Months Ago

a few questions:

i'm new to linux, but can get around operating systems pretty decently, though i am a NOOB, please help

1] i'm trying to access a hard drive, external, but it says that the hard drive is not accessible as it was not closed out properly, unfortunately, i'm away from home and i just installed ubuntu in my acer 4420 laptop

i was told by the laptop's message that i could forcibly open the external hard drive, but was unable to do so as it (the terminal opened from my applications>accessories menu) said it was something that the root terminal needed to do (?????)

i'm trying to savage my data from the windows partition, as i screwed up and when trying to remove fedora 11, i accidentally messed my mbr and windows is no longer recognized/and neither is it's partition on startup

so i installed ubuntu 8.10 and can see the hard drives and access the files

2] is there a way to repair the windows master boot record via linux?

3] if all else fails i'd like to reinstall windows 7, but i need to reformat those partitions once i've salvaged my data, is it possible to install windows after linux? and how do i reformat the windows partitions that are invisible to windows programs (partition magic bootable disc) so that i can access the partitions for windows installation?

as i said i'm new, but have been curious about linux of rquite some time, this isnt the first time i've installed linux, or windows for that matter, however it's the first time i'll install windows after linux is already installed

thank you

patrick
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Clarify a few things first. Are you saying that all the files have been salvaged since you installed the latest Ubuntu?

On what machine or drive is the damaged MBR?

Is the external drive an internal drive in an enclosure or was it bought as an external drive?

Is Ubuntu on the first partition on the laptop?

For the most part Windows wants to be first. At least that's the way it used to be. Since I abandoned the idea of dual boot, about 10 years ago, it may have changed.
  • elektros75
  • elektros75

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reply to Don2007...
A))) the files i needed have been salvaged now, via ubuntu
1] i moved some files to the home [25giig] partition ["/home"]
2] formatted the partition that hose files were salvaged from ("data")[D: ntfs]
3] moved files from windows 7 partition [c: Local Disk] to the now reformatted "data" partition [d: ntfs]
4]i am at this moment reinstalling windows to the newly formatted C: drive [first partition on hdd]

B))) the MBR is damaged on the laptop (acer 4420, of which i listed what i'm doing above)

C))) the external drive is an internal sata 2.5" drive in an external enclosure

D))) ubuntu is the last group of partitions [/home, /(root), /swap]

no you're still correct as to the windows wants to he fisrt thing, i've also done some research at my friends house [on his pc now], and it seems that i have to install windows first, which is why i went to the trouble of clearing the space for the install first

so windows is installing now, and i'll have to reinstall ubuntu, i'm sure :\

should i upgrade to 9.04 or is 8.10 more reliable for ubuntu linux?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see that Ubuntu is up to 9.10, so you might as well go for that if it's listed as stable.

It sounds like everything else is going well.
  • elektros75
  • elektros75

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually was recommended earlier today, not to install 9.10 as they're having issues with it, i installed Linux mint 8 instead (dual boot with win 7)
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good enough.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts