how to connect internet using wireless in fedora 5?

• gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller
  • Loc: above the chair

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hye guys,
before this, i already install Ubuntu on my pc, this time i use fedora core 5 in my laptop,
my question is, how can i set up my wireless connection in my fedora? do i need something like driver or application to use it?

thanks..
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Infrastruct
  • Infrastruct

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're going to need an Orinoco or Prism II compatible wireless card. Mine's the Netgear and it works great.

There's also a driver abstraction layer called NDISWrapper that may or may not work with a given card. If you already have a wireless card or if it's on your motherboard, that may work.
  • gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller

Post 3+ Months Ago

i follow your guide to use ndiswrapper but the error is come out.
for your information, before this, i also try to use ipw2200..

could you or someone help me to solve this? i m very tired to switch back to windows paritition just to access the internet again..
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you do ./configure first?
do you have the kernel-source installed?
why did you choose to install FC5 over FC6?
have you tried: # yum -y install ndiswrapper ?
check out this page or more here
  • Infrastruct
  • Infrastruct

Post 3+ Months Ago

./configure is right.

What type of card do you have? If it's not orinoco or prism II based, it can be a real bear to get working with NDISwrapper, at least in the state it was back a year ago or so.
  • gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, i forgot to do that first, nevermind, i'll try it later,
im using fedora5 because i m using fedora5 :)

Correct me if i'm wrong, is yum only use if there is internet connection? i cant connect with the internet right now and by know, i'm in windows OS..
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, you can use yum to install packages from the installation disk. as long as the disk is listed as a source in /etc/yum.conf
  • Infrastruct
  • Infrastruct

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gamekiller what kind of card do you have right now?

Some of them can be just nightmarish to get them to work to the point where you'd be better off just buying a netgear.
  • gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller

Post 3+ Months Ago

here is my network card model,

i'm using fedora core5 in laptop branded acer travelmate 290E, with
Realtek semiconductor Co, Ltd RTL-8139/8139C+

actually,i dun where to start first, like what should i download, what the first step an so on..
  • Infrastruct
  • Infrastruct

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, you should probably read the NDISwrapper manual, this is kind of intermediate stuff.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

why not plug in your laptop with an ethernet cable and use yum to install ndiswrapper from the net? once you get ndiswrapper installed its not hard to use. Here is a guide i made a long time ago for using ndiswrapper. If you have any questions just ask.

http://www.ozzu.com/unix-linux-forum/for-those-asking-what-the-best-version-linux-t58663.html
  • gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller

Post 3+ Months Ago

hye guys, sorry for not been here for a little time, actually, i've done some searching for this problem but none of the link seems to solve my problem.

here's the error,

this happen, when i run the 'make' or 'make install' after running './config'..
i know i can plug the cable, but i just want to learn something, so next time when my friend or someone have a problem like this, i can help them. :roll:
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

The part that says "Can't finde kernel build files..." is your problem. I believe that means you need the source for your kernel. Anarchy asked if you had it but never stated whether you did or not. Not too familiar with fedora so I wouldnt know if that would be included on the cd or if you would have to download it with yum. Anarchy should know this.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

run this as root:
rpm -qa | grep -i kernel
and post the output please.
to my knowledge that would not be included on the default install and you would always have to install that manually post-installation.
run: uname -r
to find your kernel version and search http://rpm.pbone.net for the kernel-devel of the kernel version that command outputs.
  • gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller

Post 3+ Months Ago

hye, this is the output

so, what must i do after this?
and for this link, http://rpm.pbone.net/,
there are 3 types of rpm package, which one should i use? honestly, i dont know clearly about this type,i686,i586 and x86
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

it looks like your system needs updating..
run: yum -y update
your kernel and probably much of the rest of your system is out of date. then re-run uname -r and tell what it lists..
then you're going to want to search http://rpm.pbone.net for kernel-devel and install the version that matches your distro/kernel version.. then try installing again
  • gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, you right, i probably need to upgrade my fedora, nevermind, i try to yum fisrt, and if i have a problem with yum, i open a new thread.. :)
  • Drew_McGuire
  • Born
  • Born
  • Drew_McGuire

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a problem with my internet setup too and all the fourms keep saying use yum but then i didnt have internet connection....made me mad i felt like killing everyone who said use yum?!?! how can you use it when your not connected????? so i wrote a tutorial for those who do not have an active internet connection and have to do everything manually to get one. http://rapidshare.com/files/162025628/F ... e.txt.html
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can use yum without having an active internet connection, you just need to add the installation CD as the source from which you want to install software and deselect the internet sources so that you don't get a bunch of errors.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts