How to give users FTP access to server?

• camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

How can I give a developer FTP access to my website and server, without giving them root access?

I have a website and folder at /home/mydomain, and want to give an outside developer access to this. How can I do that?

I tried this, but it didnt work:
adduser bob -d /home/mydomain
passwd bob

1) When I logged in, it said it didnt have permissions to /home/mydomain/public_html
2) I was unable to figure out how to give him FTP access to /home/mydomain

I want the user to have access to the entire /home/mydomain folder as well as the public_html folder.

<newb>
john@mccarthy.net
</newb>
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

That should be /home/bob for his directory. Then you would create another group and add bob to the group for access to any other folders that are needed. Look at the man pages for group and chgrp. Also, look at the /etc/group file
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, but I dont want to give him access to /home/bob. I want to give him access to /home/mydomain. Do I still make him /home/bob, then somehow also give him access to /home/mydomain?

Basically, I want to give him access to edit my website, without giving him the mydomain login
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand what you want to do but he still needs a home directory where his .login and other files are. Then you use group and group permissions to give him access to whatever you want.

However, I have a better idea. Just send the files you want edited to him and let him do the work and return them. If they are too big to send by email, then copy them into /home/bob, let him download them and upload the replacements. If you copy then into /home/bob
make sure that he has 777 permissions on those files to do the job.

Then you copy them back to the /domain directory.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never set it up myself, but from what I've gathered you're looking for "chroot" and "jail", John.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

He doesn't need all that to edit a web site.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there any other way to root the user in the website directory ?

If you can't trust someone to have access to the website directory what's the point in keeping them around ? :scratchhead:
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're right about that and I was thinking about the trust issue too. If I can't trust the guy to login, do the job and logout without any crap, then I'm not giving him access in the first place.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe John has embarrasing photos of scantily clad women tying him up with leather he doesn't want the website developers to see on the same server.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder what the developer has on his site.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
If you can't trust someone to have access to the website directory what's the point in keeping them around ? :scratchhead:

That's exactly the issue. You don't say "I trust him", and give him root access. You say "I trust you, and here is your own account in case I stop trusting you".

Why not just say "I trust everyone one the internet", and then give out your bank account passwords. In the year 2300, when food and money is free, this will be possible. Not today.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I've read the entire internet (all of it), and really can't find out how to add FTP users.

Here is what I have so far:

useradd bob
passwd bob
(add his password)

When I login with SSH, I can login and look around. When I try to connect with FTP, it won't let me in.

Um, I'm stuck.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

useradd -m -s -d /home/bob -p passwd -s bash bob

It goes something like that. You have to read the man page.

However, why don't you consider sending the files to the developer. He can edit them and you can upload them at a later date.

BTW, that ANALogy bout the year 2300 and bank account passwords didn't make any sense at all. Most analogies don't.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm..wouldn't you just create the user account and then add it to the ftp user group?

if all else fails and you get frustrated, looks like theres a gui ftp server tool that will run a server & create user accounts for you. maybe you could use it to create the account without using it as a server?
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-setup- ... nutes.html

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts