How to Install applications on Linux

• varma
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • varma
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I need help from Linux experts. I am new to Linux. In Windows environment for installation of applications, we are giving admin privileges for user and installing. After that, we can use the applications with that user. In Linux, we have installed Portals on root user. Now, when we are trying to work with another user, it is not working, due to lack of permissions on files.

Can any one help me how to install the applications and work with any other user in Linux.

Thanks

Varma
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

when your in the console and you're the user thats the owner of the file, try this:
Code: [ Select ]
chmod 755 filename

if that doesn't work you could always 777 the file but i wouldn't suggest that..
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

you could also alternativly set up the sudo stuff. wish i could give you more info on that but i only messed with that once awhile back and dont remember too much on it.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a few questions for you:

What distribution of Linux?

How was the software packaged? (tarball, rpm, deb)

What steps did you perform to install the software?

Generally speaking, I would guess you downloaded a tarball and made it in /root (so the application itself exists in /root/somedir). If you want anyone other than root to use this application, you need to install it somewhere where everyone can get to it (/opt comes to mind). Once you have the package somewhere everyone can get to it, assign permissions appropriately.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts