HTTP Server

• varma
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • varma
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have installed Oracle 9i database in RHEL AS4 Operating system. When, I restart the machine, the Oracle database is not started and manually restarted the database server. Oracle 9i is having an HTTP Server and it is also not started. How can I check the which services are started and not started. Also, where can I set to start the service automatically, when the machine is restarted.

Please help me.

Varma
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Typically, you must place your startup scripts in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ directory for programs to start automatically.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

as root:
Code: [ Select ]
# /sbin/chkconfig --list

Will show you every service and it's default run state - though that output will probably be a long list that scrolls by very fast. You can shorten this by doing either:
# /sbin/chkconfig --list service_name

which will only show the state of "service_name", or by:
# /sbin/chkconfig --list | mail me@myaddress.com

which will mail you the list so you can look at it in you email client (what? I do this all the time with huge lists and files when I don't want to see them in a terminal!)

More practically, RHEL provides a services applet in X that will allow you to see what services are started and their default startup state. Browse to System Settings->Server Settings->Services. Anything with the checkbox checked will start automatically for whatever runlevel you're looking at.

If you did not install Oracle using the RPMs, you messed up and you need to uninstall it and do it the right way (via the RPMs). Not doing so will make your life misery if you ever try to install any RPMs dependant on Oracle.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
# /sbin/chkconfig --list | mail me@myaddress.com

which will mail you the list so you can look at it in you email client (what? I do this all the time with huge lists and files when I don't want to see them in a terminal!)

Ugh! Tsk tsk. :)

this213 wrote:
More practically, RHEL provides a services applet in X that will allow you to see what services are started and their default startup state. Browse to System Settings->Server Settings->Services. Anything with the checkbox checked will start automatically for whatever runlevel you're looking at.

Not the darn GUI again! :) Heh.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my defense, I never use the GUI for this myself. It's far easier for me to open the offending init script and add the runlevels to the chkconfig line and then do "chkconfig servicename reset" (or /sbin/chkconfig servicename reset if I'm su'd in). I just have to know about all those fancy-pants tools to support clients.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know, just giving you a hard time. ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts