IBM Advance 36 SSP Help

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone here have any experience with SSP and IBM Advance 36 (Model 436)? Most are dead or retired I believe, but I need to extract some files off of it. I have an Data Transfer Utility running that I can access and transfer files with a PC using a translation table. It's all pretty gravy. My problem is I've printed a CATALOG of supposedly all the Library(s), File(s), and Folder(s) and I can't understand the file names/labels. They are something like DMB0044, DXM0010, DMM0050, among various others. I specifically need the customer's file that has their contact information and item's file with the item numbers and item descriptions. These should just be contained in a Customer Master File and Item Master File, but I'm not seeing anything like that on the CATALOG printout. If anyone has any experience with old IBMs and wants to try to help me find which file houses that company data then I'd greatly appreciate it. I will try to have a pdf ready of the CATALOG if you need one.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

This free Redbook might help.
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg244559.html
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the link. I've already gone thru that pdf several times, but it provides no help that I could find on managing files and file labels and names. It came in handy when I was getting a PC hooked to the AS/400. I just don't know which file to transfer or what some of these filenames mean.

Thanks again for the lead, Daemonguy. Any more? :-)
  • nirajkumar123
  • Born
  • Born
  • nirajkumar123
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont have too much knowledge but it should be available on IBM site
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I found some info on the redbooks, but none really discussed if the filenames had a standard schema. Which I have found that the files and specification files should have been named so they could be located easier, but the guys who initially setup the IBM didn't really conform to any norm. I'm moving right along and making do with what I can. I didn't think there would be too much someone could help with, but I gave it a shot. I was basically just needing to know if there was a way to recognize some of the filenames.
  • davew2002
  • Born
  • Born
  • davew2002

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I'm definately old and nearly dead, well so a lot of my younger colleagues tell me, but unlike them I may be able to help you with your S/36 SSP problem. Your unlikely to find the file your searching for by using the file name alone, unless you have any documentation from the application. File names were limited to 8 characters so developers often resorted to meaningless names and hopefully documented the file. If you have access to the machine and it's up and running I should be able to help you. As the thread has been cold for some time I'll wait to hear if you still need help

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts