Install ArchLinux freezes at 2nd POST screen

• PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to install ArchLinux from a USB drive. I followed these instructions:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins ... _USB_stick

I ended up using flashnul, it seemed like it worked, there were no errors.

So I plug the flash drive into the box, attempt to boot from the flash drive. It gets to the end of the 2nd POST screen and all I get is...

GRUB _ (blinking cursor)

I made sure the flash drive was the priority drive, 1st in boot order and booted from it. Pretty sure there's nothing else forcing it to use the other hard drive.

Anybody ever have this happen?

The HDD has a half-ass install of windows on it, but I didn't think that would cause any problems. I tried loading GParted, but the CD drive on this computer is kind of old and it couldn't load it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe just try hitting enter when it gets to the blinking cursor. If that doesn't work, type "boot" (without quotes) and hit enter. It appears that it is booting to the usb stick, GRUB is a boot loader often used with linux and not often used with windows. And some times grub will want you to specify parameters before it loads the kernel and boots the operating system.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I couldn't do anything. No typing, no enter. Is there some sort of shortcut I have to press so I can type?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you sure you have the right kernel? Like if you have a 32 bit intel processor but have an AMD64 kernel it won't boot, but I would assume it would return some sort of error message if that was so.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It has an Intel P4 3.0GHz processor.

I tried using...

archlinux-2009.08-core-i686.img
archlinux-2009.08-core-x86_64.img

Both have the same result. The keyboard is a PS/2 style keyboard and it works in the BIOS and such, so I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Apparently they have "isolinux" versions for netinstalls, but I'm trying not to do a netinstall because where's I'm working on this machine it doesn't really have easy internet access. Do you know if that would even work?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The i686 is probably for Xeon class processors, and the x86_64 would be for a 64 bit processor. Is that P4 a 32 or 64 bit processor? If it is 32, try just an x86 kernel instead.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

They only have i686 and x86_64's. It is a 64-bit processor if I'm not mistaken, a Pentium 4 630: http://processorfinder.intel.com/detail ... Spec=SL7Z9

*UPDATE*

FIGURED IT OUT... was using Flashnul to write data to USB stick, tried multiple times with different versions. I finally downloaded this program to write to the flash drive: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer and it worked!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts