Installation Gentoo

• ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I just started installation of Gentoo. I load up as gentoo kernel, and as Docs say I am supposed to partition my HDD by using fdisk /dev/hda. But it gives me an error "Unable to open /dev/hda". I know I have an IDE disk, so what seems to be a problem. Any ideas? I'm new to Linux.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're on an amd64? In that case modprobe ide-disk. This one has bitten many many people so far - I don't quite know why it isn't in the technotes.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot! It worked fine. Now question: There are 3 different stages to extract. Do I need to extract all 3 of them or just 1 would bw fine?
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, only extract one of them.
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

the stages are thereso that you can chhose at wich point you wxant to start your compilation of the OS

1- from scratch, means building the kernel as well
2- precompiled kernel, and the rest for your machine
3- precompiled kernel and soft packages for a more standard and faster install

have fun ! ;D
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, it doesn't... :wink: At the end of each stage, you move onto the next one, so if you start at a stage 3, you only need to compile the kernel, etc. You only need to extract the tarball once, because by the time you've finished bootstrapping, your system is equivalent to a stage 2 tarball, and by the time you've finished emerge system, you system is equivalent to a stage 3 tarball.

Stage 1) Compile everything. That means gcc, glibc, binutils, all the really low-level stuff that you need for other things to compile.

Stage 2) All the really low-level stuff is already compiled, so you compile everything that can turn it into an operating system. A very basic one, admittedly.

Stage 3) All the basics come pre-compiled. You now have to compile the kernel, and various other tools like system loggers and filesystem tools that depend on choices you make.

Hope this makes sense!
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok...this makes sence. But I cannot setup the network, and it seems to be a problem later in settng up the kernel.
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's a huge amount of information available at the Gentoo Forums - you should find things and people to help you there. (Who knows, I could well be one of them. :D ).

Anyway, what are the problems you're having? Can you post some error messages?
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok...I started a new installation. First I have question about make.conf. I made variable USE="kde dvdr alsa". Then in tutorial it says: echo "sys-libs/glibc userlocales" >> /etc/portage/package.use What the hell is this and where do I put it?
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm! I didn't know that would be in the manual! Anyway, that will tell portage that glibc should only install a certain number of locales (related to languages, and language conventions I think...) as opposed to all of them. The command will do everything itself - it will put the line sys-libs/glibc userlocales into /etc/portage/package.use - which is the file that controls per-package USE flags. You could put it in /etc/make.conf, but since only glibc uses it, it would be a bit wasted there.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok...I just skipped that part. But then it says use emerge gentoo-dev-sources . It does a lot of stuff and in the end says Couldn't download genpatches-2.6-7.43-extras.tar.bz2 Aborting. And thats where I stuck. It is a network problem. Is there any way to go around it?
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Erm, I don't know. How are you installing? With a Universal disk, and a package cd? If so, it ought to be possible without a network...
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes...with universal and package. And in manual it says supposed to be possible without network. But then when i do emerge gentoo-dev-sources at the end it's trying to connect to download this patch and fails. Thanks a lot for help, gonna go to seek help on gentoo forum )))
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

i remember that when i tried to install gentoo i could choose to use a precompiled kernel i didn't had to compile one.

that's what i was saying

and about the stages i wanted to say the same as you said :p
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I found the problem, or otherwise saying someone on the forum tald me. The problem is with 2004.2 distro. It doesn't have all the patches needed to istall w/o the network (in manual says that there ae all the patches nedded). So I downloaded 2004.1 distro and it worked fine. Thnx for help guys anyway.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts