installing linux

• david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: princeton, nj

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi guys, i am planning on installing linux on my computer, i will actually dual boot it with i guess windows 2000, i have a set of cd's for linux red hat 7.3 and my technical field is networking, my question is: what is the best version for linux nowadays..? specially the one used in networks, and where can i get the OS, (should i buy it or download it?), and also depending on the version that i install where can I get an easy to install step by step tutorial, I am doing this because I know that many servers today run on Linux, whereas the workstations run on windows.
thank you
dave.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

well red hat 7.3 is terribly out of date so dont even bother with that. i would say download over buying any distro but thats just me. what can i say i like free stuff. normaly the only advantage over buying would be the nice packaging and cds and included comercial software and stuff. as for the best distro well many people always suggest fedora. never used it but apparently its really easy to use and all around great, excellent for beginners. seeing that you dont seem to know too much about linux i would say ubuntu due to its easy to pick up nature and the fact that it uses apt which is a very nice easy to use package managment system (fedora has a similar package managment system called yumex).
with apt you would be able to install just about anything you would need for servers with the apt-get command. ubuntu installation should be pretty straightforward to install. never actualy installed it but ive installed debian and ubuntu is based cloesly off debian.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

thats for ubuntu

http://fedora.redhat.com/

for fedora
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: princeton, nj

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks...i had never heard of that tubuntu, i'll try it...thanks again..
david. :)
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

no problem. if you need further asisstance post away.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, Fedora is great for more than just beginners. If you need a production server on the bleeding edge this is a good way to go.

Most of the production servers I see today run some form of RedHat (or RedHat based) OS - from RedHat Enterprise Linux (pay through the nose for support) to CentOS to Fedora (quite a few shared host servers are running Fedora Core 3 these days).

If your interest is in learning Linux so you have some background when production environment Linux issues arise, I would suggest getting any of these. CentOS is probably the closest free distro you'll find to RedHat Enterprise Linux, but Fedora is used as a testbed for what the next RedHat Enterprise Linux will contain.

This isn't to say that the only distribution in production environments is RedHat either. Debian and SuSe are both strong players as well.

If you just want to learn as much as you possibly can about Linux, I would suggest either Slackware or Debian. You'll be forced to learn quite a bit about Linux from using either of these.

Looking at why you're looking into Linux to begin with, I think Ubuntu is going to be too user-friendly for you - and it's not going to expose you to many issues you might find in a production environment.

Just my 2 cents.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts