Installing RedHat 9.0 with preloaded Windows XP

• sdrindani
  • Born
  • Born
  • sdrindani

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I am new to this forum.

I want to install RedHat 9.0 on a new HP Compaq machine with 40 GB hard disk , which has Windows XP preinstalled with NTFS. I would like to make it dual bootable. My questions are:

1. Can I use Disk Druid during the installation to shrink the windows partition and create a separate partition(s) for linux?

2. If not, can I use some other software for creating partitions (I dont want to use partition magic because I dont have an authorized version, and secondly, I have been warned about possible problems)

2. Will I be able to read (and write on ) the windows partition from linux?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Saurabh
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• hackeralert
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi pal
regarding your third query ..... u can access windows partition. for that you have to mount the windows partition. edit /etc/fstab.
regards
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im dual booting with Window$ XP and RedHat 9. Right now linux sux with dealing with NTFS file systems their getting a little closer but still no. i would not trust linux to handle it i used Partition Magic 8. The only reason people say these thing about it is because thay really dont know how to partition. if you use it just make sure that you dont shrink it pass were data is. And if you dont want to use Partition Magic im sure you could find a third party app out their that will play with the NTFS file system. But i would not trust it. :!: but thats me its your files its up to you.

But as far as accessing the window$ partition like Hackeralert said you have to mount it your self and for a newbi that could be a job in it self

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts