installing ubuntu

• gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller
  • Loc: above the chair

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi guys..
actually, i have a little problem when i want to install the ubuntu cd which i order it from https://shipit.ubuntu.com..
the problem arrived when it goes to the partition part..i afraid all my data will be lost and have no confident to do it even i already referring it to many sites..

This is my spec for hard disk..
C: windows file 20 gb
D: my games file 20 gb
E: my songs file 20 gb
F: free space 15 gb

actually i want to put my ubuntu file in F:...
so, can anyone guide me to do this? please.. i really want to play with this open source.. :(

The second questions is must i have a network card.. It seems i forgot to buy it :P
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, you dont HAVE to have a network card. but you're not going to be able to update your system without connecting to the internet.

there should be an option in the installer to strictly use the free space on the disk. if you choose this option then it should leave the rest of your partitions alone. if you dont want to take that chance and you want to create custom partitions, than you can do that.
from the sounds of it, i would definitely NOT recommend this option for you. proceed at your own risk, if anything bad happens...i warned you. lol
all i would do would be to create two partitions: one as your root partition ( which is what you'd select for / ), and then one for a swap partition. the swap partition varies in size...some people go for 512 MB, some 1024 MB, some people dont have a swap partition at all. but for the filesystem type of this partition after you've selected the size, you'd make it swap. i'm not sure what filesystem ubuntu uses but the default choice would probably be the best after you told it the mount point was / . otherwise ext3 is always a popular choice, lol.
after you create the partitions, select the filesystem and set the main partition to be mounted for the root filesystem you can continue with the installer.
  • gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller

Post 3+ Months Ago

you mean i doesnt have to make a partition for that F:? install it to that partition and then leave it so i can proceed to the next step? :?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i mean the installer will create whatever partitions you need. you just have to tell it to use the free space on your hard drive and it does the rest for you.
  • gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D haha... i just finished installed my ubuntu.. thanks a lot friend...
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

any time =] come on back if u have any more problems

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts