internet conection in linux

• balakrishna
  • balakrishna

Post 3+ Months Ago

first i did system-config-network
2.then i selected new from menu
3.i selected ethernet connection
In that way i configured
after that when i am trying to activate the ethernet card it is displaying the error as Sorry eth0 does not seem to be present ....delay in initialization
and onemore thing
dhclient is running but when i gave ifconfig it is not able to determine eth0

CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME THE SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds like Linux isn't seeing the NIC. To check, run dmesg | more
See if it's listed or if it has another name.
Then run dhclient eth0 or whatever it is.
ifconfig -u should show the connection.

The commands I gave maybe different depending on the distribution.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

it may be easier to see the nic if you do lspci | Eth
(notice the capital E in eth. you should capitalize this when you run the command)
what distro are you using?
  • balakrishna
  • balakrishna

Post 3+ Months Ago

presently i am using redhat linux 5.0
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might as well get a newer version. It would make things a lot easier.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

do you mean redhat enterprise linux? or just plain redhat linux? (there is a difference >.<)
i would assume RHEL..?
  • balakrishna
  • balakrishna

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes it is RHEL 5.0
So what do i do for the internet connection in linux
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off, make sure your card is detected. As root:
Code: [ Select ]
/sbin/lspci | grep -i eth

If your card isn't detected here, you're not going to be able to configure it. If it's not detected, your card is either bad or the driver for it isn't installed (the latter of which would be unlikely).

If your card is detected, open /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 in your favorite text editor and make it look something like this:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=123.123.123.255
HWADDR=00:00:00:00:00:00
IPADDR=123.123.123.123
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=123.123.123.0
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=123.123.123.1
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no
  1. DEVICE=eth0
  2. BOOTPROTO=static
  3. BROADCAST=123.123.123.255
  4. HWADDR=00:00:00:00:00:00
  5. IPADDR=123.123.123.123
  6. NETMASK=255.255.255.0
  7. NETWORK=123.123.123.0
  8. ONBOOT=yes
  9. GATEWAY=123.123.123.1
  10. TYPE=Ethernet
  11. USERCTL=no
  12. IPV6INIT=no
  13. PEERDNS=yes
  14. NM_CONTROLLED=no

Of course, use values appropriate to your network. To get the NICs MAC address (HWADDR in the file), you can do:
dmesg | grep -i eth

and look for a line something like:
forcedeth 0000:00:0a.0: ifname eth0, PHY OUI 0x5043 @ 1, addr 00:00:00:00:00:00

Be sure to include the last line in the file, otherwise NetworkManager could make a mess of things for you.

Once you've done this, issue:
/etc/init.d/network restart

If your NIC doesn't come up, post whatever errors you're getting.
  • balakrishna
  • balakrishna

Post 3+ Months Ago

when i did lspci | grep -i eth
It is displaying that ethernet controller :unknown device

and when i did dmesg | grep -i eth
it is displaying nothing
  • vijayan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • vijayan
  • Loc: india

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

try with this command [b]neat-tui[/b]

Vijayan Linux
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I was having trouble with an adapter in FreeBSD, I went to radio shack and I bought a Trendnet TU2-ET100 USB to Ethernet adapter for under $30 and that was the end of the problem.

Once again, Unix and Linux fall short on 'user friendly' configuration of hardware and software. After so many years of being in existence, there is no reason for it.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your card not being detected (or being detected as an unknown device) means that your card is either bad or the driver isn't installed for it. I'd like to see Windblows bring up a NIC with no driver.

If the card is good, it means you're using something that isn't remotely normal to begin with. If this is a wireless card (which would be odd running under RHEL), see here: http://fedoramobile.org/wireless/

If you're using a wireless card, it probably means that you're not running a server, which then means that you have no need for RHEL on this machine and you would be better served by a desktop-centric distribution, like Fedora.

If your card is bad, you can get a new Gigabit speed card from newegg for around $20 (shipping included) or a 10/100 card for around $10.

Of course, the other option is that you are indeed running Redhat Linux 5, in which case you need a newer distribution.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
Your card not being detected (or being detected as an unknown device) means that your card is either bad or the driver isn't installed for it. I'd like to see Windblows bring up a NIC with no driver.

exactly.. i'd also like to see winblows have as much default driver support as linux.
i was so confused the first time i installed linux and i didn't have to install mobo drivers, ethernet drivers, usb drivers, sound card drivers.... lol
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
When I was having trouble with an adapter in FreeBSD, I went to radio shack and I bought a Trendnet TU2-ET100 USB to Ethernet adapter for under $30 and that was the end of the problem.

Once again, Unix and Linux fall short on 'user friendly' configuration of hardware and software. After so many years of being in existence, there is no reason for it.

I have said it before and I will say it again; *nix is just not for everyone I guess.

Some people have a hard time reading the hardware compatibility lists, others with simple instructions on how to enable drivers.

For those people, they make Windows. Bingo, everyone's happy because there are choices.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're right and you're wrong. You right that Unix and Linux aren't for everyone but you're wrong about them being 'simple instructions'. The cups driver is just one example.

Then I hear Linux users talking about how Linux is going to be #1 and surpass MS. That's not going to happen.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

to enable ati drivers in ubuntu 8.04, you click on the little bubble that pops up after you install it, which tells you to click it to install the drivers, and then you click a button.
what do you have to do to install ati drivers in windows? ;] so yes. some things are less simple to install than others, but imo, some things are also easier to install in linux than in windows.

Don2007 wrote:
Then I hear Linux users talking about how Linux is going to be #1 and surpass MS. That's not going to happen.

well no *plum* ^_^ hahah altho i've never heard a linux use utter such things. crazy kids
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, it's so easy to turn someone's hardware issues into a MS vs Linux debate, isn't it?

Seriously, setting up wired networking these days consists of "push the big button on the front of your case" and "if you're not using dhcp, set your IP address". If *you* had problems setting up a wired card under any *modern* distro, I'd like to know just what card it was. As I said before, the only problems you're going to have are a bad card and a missing driver - and any halfway decent distro is going to include all of the NIC drivers out there (RHEL included).

Cups, though always works flawlessly for me when I use a supported printer, has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. However, since you brought it up: http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
Wow, it's so easy to turn someone's hardware issues into a MS vs Linux debate, isn't it?

pretty much.. >.< *looks around for mac users*
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:

Hello :wink:

Everything just works for us. :mrgreen:
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

rofl, there we go
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
AnarchY SI wrote:

Hello :wink:

Everything just works for us. :mrgreen:

LMAO
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

My problem with cups was due to the fact that I have a network printer with an IP address, not a printer on lpt1. The documentation was poor at best. There is no reason why *nix printer setup should be any more than a 15 minute config.

Going back to the original post, my solution to my unsupported NIC was a USB to Ethernet adapter which I had mentioned before. I still think that was a good idea for me and a good idea for the original poster.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ever browse to http://localhost:631/ on a CUPS-ready Linux machine? All you have to do is Add a printer, select IPP from the drop-down and enter the address and select the make and model. Perhaps this would help: http://localhost:631/help/network.html

The USB to Ethernet adapter might be OK for a home user. However, the fact the the OP is using RHEL says to me that this is a server. No server should be connecting through wireless devices and if the card in the server isn't any good, it needs to be changed out with one that connects directly to the PCI bus.

I'd still like to know what wired NIC is unsupported by Linux.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
You're right and you're wrong. You right that Unix and Linux aren't for everyone but you're wrong about them being 'simple instructions'. The cups driver is just one example.

Cups? Where did that come from?

For reference since you mentioned it, I had my wife (who is barely computer literate, and only a MS person) run through a set of steps on my freebsd laptop to get network printing set up.

It took her 2 min, 27 seconds -- most of that time was spent playing with the dog.

So I reiterate, *nix is not for everyone. This forum does not exist for you to spout your personal opinions about any flavor of *nix and how the Redmond-based OS is far superior. If you feel that way, I am happy you have found your niche. Please browse over to the MS forum for help in that arena.
This is a no-trolling zone.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daeomonguy, I'll say whatever I want. The forum doesn't exist for stories about your wife and her dog either.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sigh.

the story was meant to illicit an understanding of just how simple it is, perhaps to give you the wherewithal to give it another shot.

Apparently that was lost.

No, you will NOT say "whatever you want". As a moderator for this forum, I will not permit active trolling.

If you have something that works, I am glad for you.

//Locked.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts