Internet sharing on linux

• kuttan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I am from india, Kerala. I have installed Linux on my nachine. I have every thing working perfectly. The only problem is that i could not share the internet connection to my local area network. All machine in my lan are using windows OS. Can some on help me to solve this problem??? :(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Linux may be used as a gateway bnetween a private network and the Internet. Any connection, whether it be a dial-up PPP, DSL, cable modem or a T1 line, may be used. In the case of most dial-up PPP connections and cable modem connections, only a single IP address is issued allowing only one computer to connect to the internet at a time. Using Linux and iptables / ipchains one can configure a gateway which will allow all computers on a private network to connect to the internet via the gateway and one external IP address, using a technology called "Network Address Translation" (NAT) or masquerading. Iptables/ipchains can also be configured so that the Linux computer acts as a firewall, providing protection to the internal network.

See the Linux IP Masquerade HOWTO for detailed information. You will have to learn how to do this; rather than follow some simple steps blindly.

P.S. All interior network devices (such as your Windows computers) can use a gateway - gateways are not operating systems specific. You will have to configure their default gateway (and, possibly, other IP settings) to match your Linux gateway.
  • kuttan
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

:) Hai there,

I am very very thankful for your help. I would like to know some other things tooo. I am very much intersted in knowing about how wo view a computer information if some of the port in that computer is open. Can u help me in this matter??? Dont think that its for some abuse. I just want to know how its done, and do it once with my friends. Thats all. Nothing more. Can u help meee......

I would also like to know if there is any way to know one's ip adderss if they are chatting with me on yahoo messenger???
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, glad to help.

If you have new questions that are not related to your post, "Internet sharing on linux", please start a new thread.

I think what you are asking me is how to obtain remote IP address and then scan those computers for available services. If so, I can't help you. Otherwise, go with the new thread and post a clarified message.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the first matter, you have to check your proxy setting, you have to ask your administrator , or u can check the proxy setting that have been made on the other computer and apply them to your computer,

go to edit, preferences, advance, proxy.

to view some ones ip that ur chatting with from msn, try netstat -a, not sure, but i think thats the one

good luck

amer
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Amer, it was good of you to help. But, this person may have been looking to abuse that information. Please see: http://www.ozzu.com/unix-linux-forum/obtaining-remote-address-t22020.html
  • kuttan
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello,

I dont want to abuse any one. I first asked u if u can help me and u said yes. so i posted it . If you didnt want to help me you should have told me directly. Dont think that every one is the same that you meet. I told you earlier that I am just curious of how they do it. Thats all nothing else. And the intersting thing is that i have been warned by the admin of the form all because of u. I didnt read the rules of this form. Any way sorry to tell u this. You should have told me that .

Regards,
Kuttan
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

kuttan wrote:
...the intersting thing is that i have been warned by the admin of the form all because of u.

You were flagged by a mod purly because a mod wasn't happy with your post. That had nothing to do with me, or this thread.

kuttan wrote:
I didnt read the rules of this form. Any way sorry to tell u this. You should have told me that.

Its up to you to read the rules.
  • jesselong
  • Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dont you just LOVE some forums. A guy asks a simple question, which could be used for a whole bunch of reasons, and is shot to hell. Says a lot about the community.[/b]
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

We did not shoot him to hell, his post clearly changed from innocent to something which he wanted for hacking purposes. If you view the link rjm supplied you would see his intentions.

I am locking this post, it need not go further, any deal you have you can take up with me via email or PM, or PM bigwebmaster personally.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts