internet sharing part 2

• damy
  • Born
  • Born
  • damy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all,

I m planing to buy a cable internet conection of about 1.5 mbps and share it, but as y know the provider don't cover all the bandwidth. I'm a part of a private network with no more than 100 computers, i guess.. The ip range is 192.168.xxx.xxx, but usually 192.168.0.xxx. There are more "providers" (i mean ppl that share internet as a bisness) that uses dns servers, proxy or simple vpn in my network. I studied how i could do the sharing, but i discovered that i cannot hold another dns or ICS if there is one or more. And the last thing: a lot of guys want "free" internet so i'm affraid they hijack my internet sharing...
Can you help me ? anything from wind, linux... tutorials...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy
  • Loc: SoCal

Post 3+ Months Ago

So you want to set up a router/gateway and let other people in your network use it?
  • damy
  • Born
  • Born
  • damy

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, that i meant , with the mentions:there is at least a dns server , i guess, but on the 82.79.166.xxx table, and vpn server on 192.168.0.xxx, and another one or two servers steel with vpn, not so shure what ip table AND some guys scan the network to find ways to have internet but not to pay for it... it is posyble to share a connexion with dynamic ip ?
  • damy
  • Born
  • Born
  • damy

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry for my english, i'm in hurry ....
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

How are the VPN servers getting out with 192.168.x.x addresses? They must have some form of NAT (Network Address Translation) set up somewhere between them and the internet.

This will show you step by step how to setup a NAT server.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html

You can set up the iptables script there to block any adresses you're not using. If you're pushing DHCP from the NAT server, you can do this according to active leases as well.

The existance or absence of a DNS server makes no difference. If your network is DHCP served, set the NAT box as the default gateway in your DCHPD configuration. Otherwise, each client will have to set it as the gateway manually.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts