Internet on Ubuntu

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have the internet connected to Ubuntu so I put in a USB which is supposed to provide wireless to it.

The problem is, that it doesn't seem to automatically receive the internet and I'm not sure how to set it up.

Any help? I'm using Ubuntu 10.10.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have a router? What's the name of the USB adapter? Does Ubuntu see it in dmesg? I have a USB to cat5 adapter on FreeBSD. I have to run dhclient axe0 & it gets an IP address from the router.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I have the router. I just connected my computer to the internet by wire and updating the Ubuntu (sinces it's a clean install) and then I will look for any drivers I need to install after plugging in the USB thing.

If that doesn't work then I'm going to go buy one from Best Buy (I've had this one for like a year or two so I don't know if it even works).

I don't have any documentations or CDs from this thing... it says Netgear on one side and "Wireless USB Adapter" on the other, and both of the smaller edges have either a barcode or something else.

What might not have worked is that I didn't put in the MAC number... or the correct one. I have the MAC number for the router and this driver but not sure which one to put where.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I learned about NDISWRAPPER and thought, "Hey! This looks like the thing that I need." So I downloaded the tar.gz file. Since I'm used to windows, I don't know how to get to the command thing on Ubuntu.

Help would be appreciated ASAP.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I got some help on a different forum and this is what happened...
Quote:
To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

computer name:~$ cd /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56
computer name:~/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56$ ./configure
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
computer name:~/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56$ make
make -C driver
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver'
make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic M=/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver
sudomake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic'
LD /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/built-in.o
MKEXPORT /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/crt_exports.h
MKEXPORT /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/hal_exports.h
MKEXPORT /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/ndis_exports.h
MKEXPORT /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/ntoskernel_exports.h
MKEXPORT /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/ntoskernel_io_exports.h
MKEXPORT /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/rtl_exports.h
MKEXPORT /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/usb_exports.h
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/crt.o
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/hal.o
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/iw_ndis.o
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/loader.o
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/ndis.o
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/ntoskernel.o
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/ntoskernel_io.o
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/pe_linker.o
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/pnp.o
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/proc.o
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/rtl.o
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapmem.o
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.o
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c: In function ‘set_multicast_list’:
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:953: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘mc_count’
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:956: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘mc_count’
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:960: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘mc_count’
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:960: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘_min2’
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:960: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘mc_count’
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:967: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘mc_list’
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:968: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:969: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:971: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make[3]: *** [/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver'
make: *** [all] Error 2
computer name:~/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56$ sudo make install
[sudo] password for bogey:
sSorry, try again.
Sorry, try again.
make -C driver install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver'
make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic M=/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic'
CC [M] /home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.o
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c: In function ‘set_multicast_list’:
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:953: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘mc_count’
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:956: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘mc_count’
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:960: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘_min2’
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:967: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘mc_list’
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:968: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:969: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.c:971: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make[3]: *** [/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver/wrapndis.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bogey/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56/driver'
make: *** [install] Error 2
computer name:~/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56$ ^C
computer name:~/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.56$

It didn't recognize ./configure... I also don't like those errors.

What should I do next?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is getting really frustrating.

I went to the Ubuntu Help Page for this thing and done just about everything it told me to.

I connected my Ubuntu box to the internet wired, installed ndisgtk through the Ubuntu Software Center found at the bottom of the "Applications" menu.

I found the driver to the Wireless USB Adapter. (Netgeat WG111T).

In the zip file there was athfmwdl.inf, autorun.inf and netwg11t.inf which I installed through the ndisgtk thing (System > Administration > Windows Wireless Drivers).

I made sure that the Wireless USB Adapter was plugged in when I was installing the drivers. I installed all three of those, but autorun.inf failed.

I then opened Terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and ran:
Quote:
ndiswrapper -l

What this should do is list all drivers... it didn't show any, so that tells me that the drivers that I installed weren't installed properly or just wasn't working.

This is when I clicked the Configure Network button in the ndisgtk control panel and clicked on Wireless, clicked 'Add', then I put in the SSID, Device MAC... then I setup the wireless security to WAP and WAP2 and put in my password. Than I ran the following again:
Quote:
ndiswrapper -l

Still nothing.

I then restarted Ubuntu and it still doesn't work... just to make sure, I removed the Ethernet wire and tried the wireless... it didn't automatically turned on, and I'm not sure how to manually connect so I'm just assuming it doesn't work. (I tried to manually turn it on, but no luck.

When it's disconnected, the button in the bar that shows if the internet is connected or not... when I click on it, the Wired connections are disabled and the only option there is to configure VPN Connections.

I'm not sure what that is, or how to do that, so that might be what is causing the trouble... I don't know.

-----------------------------------------------------------
This Wireless USB Adapter is old, so I'm thinking about going to Best Buy tomorrow and simply buying myself a new one and see if that one works.

Any help in helping me to resolve this would be greatly appreciated... is there anyone out there who can help me out?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... sSupported

First make sure that your wireless adapter is supported by Linux.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

First make sure that your wireless adapter is supported by Linux.

I did... but thanks for that link anyway, it gave me a bit more information. I'm still stuck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts