IPTables Question

• WNxGratefulJed
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • WNxGratefulJed
  • Loc: Trailerparkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard that you can use IPTables to NAT. Is this true and if so how is it possible?

I plan on making my own home webserver and making it go live on the internet for everyone to see. I already have a Linksys router to make my own network but the problem is that it NATs and gives my computers on the network private addresses (192.168.X.X). What I want to do is use the webserver on the outside of the private network so that it can have a public address.

I guess what Im trying to ask is is it possible to use IPTables to create a DMZ with NATing when you already have a firewall/NAT on the other side of the DMZ. I do know that Im going to need 2 NICs for this project (eth0 and eth1)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

you don't need iptables to do the nat configuration. You will still have to allow the server ports through iptables though.

But to configure nat, log in to your router, and go in the advanced and look for port forwarding, then forward the server ports to your computers IP address.
more info here: http://www.portforward.com/help/portforwarding.htm
  • WNxGratefulJed
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • WNxGratefulJed
  • Loc: Trailerparkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a bunch and I also found out that my little linksys router has a DMZ function on it that allows one computer to have all of its ports forworded/opened so that it is completely exposed. Im going to go with that option and then use an IPTables script to keep it safe and that way I can use SSH to change things around remotely. Not sure if I can remotely change the configuration on my linksys router though but thats ok...need more experience useing Linux anyway :)

thanks again!
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, often times you can designate which IP (or block) can program your router. It's probably set to 192.168.0.* by default.

But, if you have SSH open on you linux box, you can SSH in to it and then reprogram the router remotely!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts