KDE configuration

• ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone knows about a good tutorial or explanation of a configuration file for KDE, i can't get very good resolution on my Gentoo linux.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.kde.org?
  • aeon
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

ilyawizard wrote:
Does anyone knows about a good tutorial or explanation of a configuration file for KDE, i can't get very good resolution on my Gentoo linux.

i would say that your horizontal/vertical refresh rates for your monitor aren't set high enough... look up the rates for your monitor and make the changes to your x configuration file..

if you are using xorg you can run the xorg configuration tool, "xorgconfig", i'm not sure what it is for xfree, probably xfreeconfig or something like that..
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, it might have actually helped if I read the original post. :) Yeah, whichever X server you are using, the config for the resolution is in there; not KDE.

Cheers.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, actually, configuration file for KDE in Gentoo is XF86Config. Now I got that, when u execute XF86Config it asks you bunch of question about ur monitor, graphic card, mouse and keyboard. Before I used another command (don't remember where I got that and what command was that), which in turn configured everything automaticly and with low resolution, so I wanted to configure the XF86Config file manually. But now I used XF86Config that worked perfectly. Thanks for help.
  • aeon
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

you're welcome
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah XF86 is the other X environment; the other free X environment that is. Xorg is a new development that most *nix's seem to be migrating to.
It stands to reason that XF86config would have helped you.
Technically though, again, the configuration of X is not a configuration of the Window Manager. You establish your X (GUI) framework with X, then decide which Window Manager you want, (KDE, Gnome, FVWM, etc.)

Cheers, and glad you're up and running.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts