kylix download

• croft15
  • Student
  • Student
  • croft15
  • Loc: Slovakia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi everybody, i've started to programm in Delphi language about year ago , but now i'm trying linux, (ubuntu , KDE) , so i'm interested in kylix, can you please help me where to download it (some trial or .....)

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, there's the homepage:

http://www.borland.com/us/products/clas ... index.html

I'm sure I'll get shot down for saying so, but... Delphi is basically dead. I'm told it's great, and that it has many uses and strengths, but it's userbase is so small so as to be nothing.
I had a copy of Kylix 3 Personal back in the day, but it was lame compared to KDevelop even then. Compared to Eclipse or VS2005 now, it would be a joke. Maybe you could get a Delphi plugin for eclipse thinking about it now?

Good luck!
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyefade wrote:
or VS2005

eww... *makes a cross with index fingers*
sinner.

;)

the only thing VS2005 is good for is if you want to use .NET
and why would you do that? its s0 sl0w.. lol (in reference to gui programs the user would download/run, nothing server side..although it may be slow here too)
i'd rather write the gui myself and have it be faster/compatible with pretty much all windows pc's and have Wine run it with no problem than write it in VS, get worse performance, and require someone to have a certain version of .NET
yea, you can build it with an installer...but should that be necessary? not IMHO..
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ASP.NET

The company I work for has devs in PHP, ASP.NET and Java, if I'm working on my own on a small ASP project, I opt for VWDExpress, but if it's a large, multi-user project, VS2005 is helpful for it's Team and CVS controls.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, such controls could definitely be helpful in a team situation.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnew ... =196702273

Quote:
One product not on the revitalization list -- much to the chagrin of its vocal enthusiasts -- is Kylix, the discontinued Linux version of Delphi and C++ Builder. Fans have clamored for renewed development of the tool, but Smith said it's unlikely. "I hear lots of discussions about Kylix, but I didn't see lots of revenue in my reports about Kylix," he said.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

weird. your sig is my screen name. except my oh is a zero and my for is a four ^_^

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts