LibreOffice vs OpenOffice, heck OpenSrc vs OpenSrc

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been a linux distro day-trader for about the last decade. I'll find a flavor I like and wear it out until I download and install the next-best-thing iso. I always thought Linux had a good thing going even back in 2004 when it came to photo editing, office suite, and video playing. I thought they just lacked a little polishing but overall I liked where they were heading. I could count on any linux distro I install to have GIMP, OpenOffice, and VLC. They were basically setting a much needed standard. They all have a windows binary equivalent and I could even run them on my windows machines plus I thought they worked great. GIMP has more features than most editors would need, OpenOffice converted documents nicely with a near 100% average accuracy, and there's not many video/audio files VLC won't play. With their windows binaries I now recommend them for my windows users such as when a poor college student says to me, "hey, I bought this old laptop with WinXP but it doesn't have Word or Excel on it and it doesn't play my DVDs". I simply install them the trifecta. I also add the pdf plugin for OpenOffice which gives basic Acrobat functionality in order to freely create/edit PDFs.

Now, when I install a linux distro I never know what I'm gonna get. Some may have Abiword installed or Gnumeric. Others may have Xine or KMplayer for video. Lately, I've noticed LibreOffice which I now know is a spinoff of OpenOffice and obviously gained tons of ground when Oracle discontinued the OO project. Apache has picked up the project but it will no doubt be hard to catch up to LibreOffice releases. A LibreOffice developer said he still doesn't understand why OpenOffice is still downloaded like crazy and said it must be some brand loyalty thing. I think so plus my bosses are never going to take a product with the name of LibreOffice seriously.

I understand Linux wants to capture the general public interest but they fell short of beating WinXP Home and now the open source software has become too cumbersome with projects that may work but really don't stack up in comparison to Windows software. Until they figure out how to conquer home users I will have to continually spend thousands of dollars for my office software as it looks to still be a while before Linux can be used by real office employees. It's sad because I really only saw two problems.

1. Document conversion accuracy and formula matching has to be 100%. Users will continually be converting MS docuements. MS has too much market share not to be 100.1% compatible. In 2004 I thought it was close and I thought now in 2012 Word, Excel, and PPT would have a great alternative.
2 Lack of a PIM program or email client. Let's face it no one likes to click on Send and Receive anymore. I've also done tests in office environments because I've tried to go to an alternate solution from Outlook and while users of Outlook still don't know how to use the program correctly and many still think that Outlook IS their email, attempts to swap have not been good. Users are comfortable with Outlook and moreso they are comfortable with the MAPI protocol even though they are clueless as to what that is. Without an email client to rival Outlook and one that can use the MAPI protocol (I think thunderbird may have a plugin they are working on) then office productivity is going to be done on Windows with Microsoft Office Suite.

In the end, I will be watching OpenOffice which Apache has already released a new version. I will have to just always make sure my repositories are updated and install what I like which is the Linux philosophy anyway isn't it?

I just don't like seeing open source battle itself. Maybe it's been for the better. Maybe LibreOffice is an incredible suite. I have no doubts that it will build my spreadsheet or presentation. I'm sure Gnumeric will too, but why should I use them. What have they really contribute?. Please weigh in.

I just thought by now Linux would be making a real attempt at gaining all sorts of users and not just some hippie kid or scriptkiddie living in the basement. Also, remember the poor college student. Well, he finally graduated turning in all his papers built on open source softwares. After graduation the kid started a small business where all the employees use Windows and MS Office. Thanks OpenSource.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Libre Office vs Open Office is kinda typical what happens in the opensource world all the time. Everyone keeps reinventing the wheel and the fans keep cheering for their favorite of the one that they thought has reinvent the wheel the best.

Just look at Linux for instance, I have not counted but isn't there like 100 maybe 200 or 300 distributions of it already?ยจ

While its cool to have hundreds of versions of a software it also creates confusion and personally I don't think it sound that "productive" to have so many people workin on creating so many versions with their minor differences and unique flaws (bugs) and lack of software.

I think if you are waiting for Libre office or Open office to "take over" you will have to wait a long time. Its the constant illusion of "here we come, this year linux will win", it hasn't happened for so many years and personally I don't think they are capable of gaining any real market.

Having said that I also like Linux. But I just don't view it as something that will become popular for home users any time soon.

Its just lacking in so many important areas compared to windows for that to become a reality.

Personally I think Libre office and Open Office can work for hobby productions or to share work with a friend but becoming a standard is at least 10 years away (or maybe we have by then moved "all" our docs online?? who knows..), but its a long road there and switching isn't going to happen over night. Personally I don't dare to send any documents made in openoffice to anyone since I never know how it will render if the user uses MS office (and most likely they do).
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed. I just thought Linux was sitting pretty several years ago to be poised to really make a move not just in the personal arena but also as a low-cost alternative in the business arena.

It seems OO and LibreOffice are both fighting over who gets to polish a terd.

Oh yeah, I made a mistake. That college kid didn't do ALL his papers on OO. Halfway through he swapped to GoogleDocs that way he didn't have to carry around a thumbdrive anymore.

Even though online docs still has horrible conversion accuracy it at least boasts ease of access and backup. Since our computer labs at the university used roaming profiles it was a no-brainer to force switch to GoogleDocs.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts