Lightweight version of GIMPs "aquire > screenshot > region"?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the option in GIMP where I can set a delay of a few seconds. then a crosshair shows up allowing me to select a region of my screen to capture to a new image.

I don't like having to open GIMP whenever I want to use it.

Are there any lightweight applications that will run on Gnome/Ubuntu-Hardy which do this ?
Maybe some keys I can press to alter the behavior of the prtscrn key to give me a crosshair ?

I'd be happy if it just saved the image as a PNG on my desktop.

If it doesn't choke on capturing context menus that would be especially awesome.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

At work we have a windows application :( that does exactly what you want it to do. It is called Gadwin Print Screen, they have a pay version and a freeware version. It is a pretty simple little program that you should most probably maybe hopefully be able to run with wine.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking Wine would take as long to start as GIMP. :scratchhead:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just an idea. I'm a kde person myself and I know kde has a screen capture thing in it as a utility, but that doesn't help you one single bit on gnome.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gnome has one two, but it lacks that option to select a region of the screen like GIMP has. That region selection is my main want, I can just hit prntscrn and save a PNG to my desktop in any other situation.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about xwd?
http://www.xfree86.org/current/xwd.1.html

I'm not within reach of a linux box to play with it but I'll try it out later.

The frame option allows you to pick a specific window, but I get the genius idea you want to draw a square and get everything inside.......
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whoooaah !!

I just learned it's a bad idea to type "xwd" into a terminal and them select a region with the resulting crosshair. I just had my terminal window fill up with questionmarks that I can only assume are binary data. lol

I might be able to work this, thanks ! :D
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

My first guess for the shizzle would be that you didn't get an output file specified. I got stuff to do the next couple days so I might not have time to play. I haven't been able to just goof off in a couple weeks dangit. :cry:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've ended up going with Desktop Data Manager, the DDM Screenshot utility starts extremely fast and allows me to select a region. :D
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Coolness, I'll play with that too because being able to select an exact spot for a screen capture seems like something that ought to be uber useful.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're using Compiz (under Gnome or KDE) all you need to do is enable the screenshot plugin and set or find out what the initialize action is (I think by default it's <SUPER><SHIFT>Button 3, but I'm not too sure about that). If you're using CCP, the plugin is under "Extras" in CCSM. If you're using gconf, look under /apps/compiz/plugins/screenshot in gconf-editor. To find out which you're using, do:
Code: [ Select ]
grep OPT4 /usr/bin/gnome-wm

If you're not using Compiz, I was actually going to say DDM. Other than GIMP, I think that's going to be about the only way to do it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts