linux box wont boot

• ozzyosb100
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm running mandrake 9.2. I woke up this morning and my linux box was on but there was no image on the screen. I restarted it and i got to the bootloader, I let it boot and nothing happens. The screen is black and the light on the monitor is on so i know theres a signal. I know its not a video/monitor problem because i cant ping the machine either... any ideas on what i should do?

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

The usual questions have you changed and configurations lately, any updates?

You say you let it boot so I'm guessing you saw all the blurb scroll down the screen showing all the init scripts correct?

If possible try: CTRL + ALT + F1
and see if a login prompt shows.

Good luck.
  • ozzyosb100
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

the only changes i made were about 2 days before this happened. I installed and configured the box for VNC and telnet. When i first turn the box on i see the POST and then the mandrake boot menu where it asks how you want to book (i.e. 'linux', 'floppy', 'failsafe') i hit enter on linux and thats when the scren goes black... and there is no hard Drive activity. i did try changing to the prompt and that didnt work

edit: I also trien the failsafe opton with the same results
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy
  • Loc: SoCal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Simply use the boot floppy you smartly made when you installed Linux.
  • ozzyosb100
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

well that halfway worked, I reinstalled the bootloader and got it to boot, but now the GUI screen doesn't come up. I can load consoles 1-6 but the GUI, 7, makes my monitor power button blink on and off until i switch to a console. VNC now wont start i get the following error message: "Warning: mandy:1 is taken because of /tmp/.X2-lock Remove this file if there is no X server mandy:2" deleted what i thought was safe in the /tmp/ directory and it gave me the same errors for .X0, .X1 and .X2.. for .X3 it gave me: "Couldn't Start Xvnc; trying default font path. Please correct the font path in the vnc server script. Couldtn start Xvnc process." I never had to do this before. any ideas what this all is?

thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts