Voting Chart

Total votes : 18

Linux or BSD ?

  •  
    Linux
  •  
    BSD

Linux or BSD ??

  • phpSelectah
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 97

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just curious as to what everyone has installed :)


Please include your distro/version.


:D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 482
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Slackware Linux 9.1

I'd really like to try out some different flavors, though. Hrmm...BSD does sound fairly appetizing.
  • phpSelectah
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 97

Post 3+ Months Ago

Opps I forgot to mention what I am using :oops:

Workstation: FreeBSD 5.2 ( laptop with apm !!!!!)
Firewall: FreeBSD 4.9
Producion Server: FreeBSD 4.8

:P
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 4581
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I take it you like bsd?

Slackware 9.1 aswell.
  • phpSelectah
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 97

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
I take it you like bsd?

Slackware 9.1 aswell.


never ! :lol:

I started with Redhat awhile back, and never really got cozy, after that I
gave Mandrake a shot, and it seemed young at best.


A buddy at work mentioned FreeBSD , so I downloaded the ISO, and never really looked back. I see BSD's as Unices without
training wheels. You can install a BSD machine with one disc or even just 1 floppy disc ,which I thought was awesome !!

8)

It was definitely worth that one shot !
  • OrmigaGrande
  • Born
  • Born
  • OrmigaGrande
  • Posts: 3
  • Loc: Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

coworkers & I dork around w/ BSD much as possible
during our free time (which isn't often - hehe!).

:wink:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 5739
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got various versions of RedHat running right now, mostly 7.3. It works well, so I've not really needed to change it, although I am looking to build up a new primary system to replace my Windows machine (then Windows will remain for just IRC, Photoshop, Games & watching movies on).

My new box will be running some flavour ofLinux, although I've not decided which distro yet.
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Desktops(includes all my Laptops): FreeBSD 5.2.1 RC2
Servers: FreeBSD 4.9 STABLE
Bastion Hosts: Open BSD 3.4
Toaster: NetBSD :)

Of course, at work I am stuck with RH9, RH Enterprise, Suse, SLES... blah blah blah.

Cheers.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 526
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Desktop: Apple Mac OS X Darwin Kernel Version 6.8
Desktop: Sun Solaris 9
Laptop: Red Hat Linux 9 Kernel Version 2.4.20-8
PDF: Palm OS 4.1
Phone: Motorola 2102.01.2F.03 (just kiddin')

I plan on moving away from Red Hat in favour of Suse. This will help plenty with adopting future NetWare versions. Strategic career stuff...
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 526
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its great to see so many BSD users on this forum. I love its no nonsense design and really wish I had more computers. :-(
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 774
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's a question for you guys: Should I load my dedicated server with FreeBSD or Red Hat 9? I am fairly proficcent with the shell of RH9 and the commands, etc. but I have heard that freebsd performs better. So, which one should I get?
  • phpSelectah
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 97

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
Here's a question for you guys: Should I load my dedicated server with FreeBSD or Red Hat 9? I am fairly proficcent with the shell of RH9 and the commands, etc. but I have heard that freebsd performs better. So, which one should I get?



I will have to ask a few questions:

RAID ?
number of nics
Purpose ? (www,ftp,dns,firewall+natd)

Once you have answered those, I will have to say FreeBSD or OpenBSD , lol :D

good luck ;-)
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 526
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm... I think phpSelectah is going to say BSD no matter what. :-D
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 774
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

www server, i don't know how many nics (1 i would assume), 4 ip address, raid1.

But I only get a choice between freebsd and redhat. I don't get to choose openbsd. I could also choose windows if I wanted, but, well, no-one chooses windows for servers because it doesn't work.
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would go with FreeBSD -- no big surprise there.
For it's stability, it's security (capabilities), and for it's ability to handle the load.

Disk I/O is much more reliable and built for high-performance using soft updates than the non-synchronous updates which is less reliable and subject to disk corruption.

As of the 2.4 kernel release, Linux was approx 20% below the network capacity of the then present edition of BSD.

Security is much more robust and includes various kernel based firewall/packet filtering devices.

Best reason: ports collection! :)

There are some advantages to Linux -- but really, unless you need a JFS, or entirely specific commercial drivers... BSD is the way to go.

Cheers.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 526
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's the ports collection?
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjmthezonenet wrote:
What's the ports collection?


Oh my. The finest creation known to man -- or woman. :)

Imagine installing source, including all dependencies using a single command.

There are presently over 10,000 ports.

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html for more information.

Cheers.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 526
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yes, that one definitely makes the Linux folk green with envy. Thanks. :-)
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 727
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have red hat 7 (with windows) on my machine now, but once I get my new comptuer fixed i'll transfer all my windows stuff to the new machine, then clean my old machine and put freeBSD on it. maybe i'll put a few linux distros on my new machine as well as windows xp.
  • rainman
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 54
  • Loc: near Warsaw, Poland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ports are nice, but in Gentoo weve got EMERGE, and in Debian sth called APT. Its very powerful and simply.

Im using Debian, Gentoo and W2K for website checking (IE) or making REG for Wine :P
  • phpSelectah
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 97

Post 3+ Months Ago

:bump:
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 163
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I started with Mandrake i was using that for about 3 years then i got my hands on RedHat and its hade everything i hated about mandrake.
I really never tried FreeBSD i sure its a great OS from what i heard.
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

rainman wrote:
Ports are nice, but in Gentoo weve got EMERGE, and in Debian sth called APT. Its very powerful and simply.

Im using Debian, Gentoo and W2K for website checking (IE) or making REG for Wine :P

"Nice"? Hmmph. So nice, that apparently Gentoo is stealing the idea with, what do they call it again? Portages?
How many are there in Gentoo? There's nearly 12,000 ports for FBSD now.

Emerge, would be the Gentoo expression replicating the make install clean line for FBSD.

I think they are on the right track with Gentoo though; they are basically trying to build a FBSD box using linux. :) With the whole , build from source mentality. Good path, woefully behind. :)
One thing I do like is the automatic drop to CLI.. I mean, who want's GUI when you are using as a server?
  • cyner
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • cyner
  • Posts: 20
  • Loc: Stockholm, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
How many are there in Gentoo? There's nearly 12,000 ports for FBSD now.


7,545 packages. (http://packages.gentoo.org/categories/)
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 712
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

BSD people always get upset about Gentoo copying Ports, but so what? it's a compliment to BSD more than anything. I'm currently battling with Gentoo (for my own amusement, not because it won't work). Plus, "12,000 vs 7,545", it should be quality over quantity. So long as whatever OS you choose has all the packages you need available (nb, for me, Linux does, BSD doesn't), what does it matter?
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyefade wrote:
BSD people always get upset about Gentoo copying Ports, but so what? it's a compliment to BSD more than anything. I'm currently battling with Gentoo (for my own amusement, not because it won't work). Plus, "12,000 vs 7,545", it should be quality over quantity. So long as whatever OS you choose has all the packages you need available (nb, for me, Linux does, BSD doesn't), what does it matter?


I am hardly "upset" as imitation *is* the highest form of flattery, to be sure.
I find it humorous that for years Linux users decried FBSD and its ports collection as an extraneous piece of fluff, only to now copy it in the end.
For that matter, FBSD's IP stack, its implementation of IPSEC and many more once scoffed at by the general Linux public all seem to be finding their way into various and sundry builds. What was once vilified, is now fashionable.
As for quantity vs. quality; why choose? When one build from source, they always have quality.
If perchance there is a piece of software specifically written for Linux, I simply choose to build *that* port, in BSD's compat mode.

Cheers.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 727
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't the red hat network kinda like the ports collection, where you just search for a package or program or whatever and install it, through the RHN application? or is ports that much different?
I am pretty sure I used it on red hat 7.1 but didn't install anything, just poked around, since I just wanted to install a new distro.

I wanted to install freeBSD I burned the CD, then went to install to find out my floppy drive is broken, then I had to pop open the case to try and move the jumper settings to allow cd to boot first (no option for cd to boot first in bios) then I closed the case back up and my comptuer won't work. lights/fans turn on, just nothing is happening.
Oh well it was an old computer, and I rerley used it.

But thanks to you Daemonguy for promoting freeBSD that I have a now broken computer : (
lol, I am just kidding, the computer was old and on its way to death anyways.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 712
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
dyefade wrote:
BSD people always get upset about Gentoo copying Ports, but so what? it's a compliment to BSD more than anything. I'm currently battling with Gentoo (for my own amusement, not because it won't work). Plus, "12,000 vs 7,545", it should be quality over quantity. So long as whatever OS you choose has all the packages you need available (nb, for me, Linux does, BSD doesn't), what does it matter?


I am hardly "upset" as imitation *is* the highest form of flattery, to be sure.
I find it humorous that for years Linux users decried FBSD and its ports collection as an extraneous piece of fluff, only to now copy it in the end.
For that matter, FBSD's IP stack, its implementation of IPSEC and many more once scoffed at by the general Linux public all seem to be finding their way into various and sundry builds. What was once vilified, is now fashionable.
As for quantity vs. quality; why choose? When one build from source, they always have quality.
If perchance there is a piece of software specifically written for Linux, I simply choose to build *that* port, in BSD's compat mode.

Cheers.


Alright, don't take it personally! I think saying "BSD people" and "Linux people" are both too large generalisations. I recognise thaqt there is a lot of "nice" stuff in BSD, and much of it is only really starting to be adopted by Linux. But I'm sure it works boths ways (don't know enough about [F]BSD to think of examples, but given Linux's massively larger developer support (NOT A FLAME!), there surely will be. )

Like I said before, if the OS you're using does everything you want it to do well enough, don't worry about it! Still fun to argue though :twisted:
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyefade wrote:


Alright, don't take it personally! I think saying "BSD people" and "Linux people" are both too large generalisations. I recognise thaqt there is a lot of "nice" stuff in BSD, and much of it is only really starting to be adopted by Linux. But I'm sure it works boths ways (don't know enough about [F]BSD to think of examples, but given Linux's massively larger developer support (NOT A FLAME!), there surely will be. )

Like I said before, if the OS you're using does everything you want it to do well enough, don't worry about it! Still fun to argue though :twisted:


Personally? Hardly.
In all my years with FBSD, I have yet to see an integral function migrate *from* any linux distribution *to* FBSD. There are, however, several third party binary packages which for one reason or another are made to work with linux and not FBSD. In those cases, FBSD has created the compat mode, and is able to run the vast majority of linux binaries.

The insanely large developmental arm of linux, is, IMHO a detriment to the distributions. It makes Linux so fragmented that the right arm doesn't know what the left is doing. There's a reason why most business environments are switching to Enterprise class Linux -- my company included. Less fragmentation resulting in greater core to core stability.
It's one thing to develop applications for an OS, but again, IMHO, having a finite core of developers who are responsible for rev to rev enhance the OS.

Cheers.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 29 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.