xp 2 linux data transfer when kernal does not support ntfs

• TheDisciple
  • Born
  • Born
  • TheDisciple

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running linux rh 5.1 on a hd linked to my secondary ide, and have xp running on a seperate hd on my primary ide, because i have installed an old version of linux not alot of my hardware is supported not even my on board graphics s3 pro savage Km133(tm). i need to update my kernal
and i need to load my graphic drivers also modem drivers and additional hardware drivers I have sourced all the applicable drivers updates etc required and have them on my xp hd however the kernal on my linux hd will not support mounting a ntfs hd. i have been unable to read a floppy disk i had copied drivers to. When i run ls command at /mnt/floppy it shows no files The problem I would very much appreciate some assistance is simply this how to get these drivers from hd 1 (xp) to hd 2 (linux) I had considered figuring out how to set up my modem and using non gui to download all necassary files via ftp of course struck modem drivers problem
I do have a usb watch i could put data on however i assume that is even less likely

please dont suggest obtaining a more recent version of linux

Kind Regards
Richard Smith
  • blackhole
  • Born
  • Born
  • blackhole

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi! You can create a dos partition on the larger drive , copy the necessary files to the dos partition, mount it once you boot and linux and you'er done. :D
  • vindex
  • Born
  • Born
  • vindex

Post 3+ Months Ago

To read a floppy, especially on old versions, you have to mount the floppy first using "mount /mnt/floppy".

You can also burn a (rewritable) CD to move data. You'll have to mount it under Linux, too, using "mount /mnt/cdrom".
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

You really should update your kernel. http://kernel.org/ for recent versions.

Linux is more secure than windows, but older versions have more known security holes.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts