Linux distro and PHP editor for old box

• Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have used Macs for most of my life and I am pretty clueless when it comes to linux, but I am out of state and I am forced to use a PC. Anyways I really need to do some PHP coding, and windows is making me mad right now. So I need to know of a bare bones distro of linux and a good PHP/web editor. I use Dreamweaver on my computer at home and I love the color code and the auto fill (I'm lazy :cry: ). Anyways what makes this so complicated, for me, is the fact that this piece of crap has a 466 mhz Celeron, 8 gigs of HD, and only 64 megs of SD memory (thats shared with the video :!: ). Basically it sucks. I prop need a live CD version (cause of my minimal HD) and an editor that can directly read/write to FTP (again because of the small HD and the fact that I'm lazy :D ) If anyone has any idea of what I should get, advice would be greatly appriciated :!:

Thank you very much, Michael Revell
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would suggest looking around http://www.distrowatch.com for a LiveCD based on Debian.
for the web dev you'd probably want to find a LiveCD that had Quanta Plus on it. it has the code completion feature, highlighting/coloring.. you may also be interested in something like PC-BSD. i dont think that takes up much disk space and its based on FreeBSD.. only problem is you'd have to install it and i'm unsure as to the availability of software. another option would be to install Fedora and then only installing what you need for the time being. i'd stay away from any form of Ubuntu or Mandriva..they're a little more on the resource hog side ;) but that 64MB ram is .. yea..lol.
what version of windows are you running?
have you considered trying PHP Expert Editor for windows? its got a shareware trial of 30 days and i like it for PHP while i'm in windows..
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your reply.

I am using Windows 98 right now. I will be here for a week and, as I said, I just need to get the job done. I kinda wanted to use linux because I don't care too much for windows but it doesn't really matter all that much to me.

About PHP expert editor: I download that and was messing with it before I made my origanal post, and I didn't care to much for it. I really love Dreamweavers auto fill because I have the tendency to make typos :cry: .

One big prob about this computer is oviously how slow it is due to the horrible resources, and I guess booting off a CD wouldn't help it.

So do you think that I would be better off in windows, linux or BSD? Basically my main purpose is to get as much efficient coding done this week as possible. also that code completion would be nice :D

Thanks for your help
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm..PC-BSD is looking pretty good in my opinion. it shouldn't be heavy at all on the resources, and you can download KDevelop and Zend Studio 5 for it. personally i haven't used this "Zend Studio 5" but the PC-BSD website says.. "To use Zend Studio 5, you need to ask for an evaluation key from the Zend web site, or you can order a license for Zend Studio 5. If you already own Zend Studio 5 (Windows/Linux), your license key is going to work too.

Zend Studio 5 is the only Integrated Development Environment (IDE) designed for professional developers that encompasses all the development components necessary for the full PHP application lifecycle. Through a comprehensive set of editing, debugging, analysis, optimization, database tools and testing Zend Studio 5 speeds development cycles and simplifies complex projects." - http://www.pbidir.com/packages.php?code=157

so i'd think its worth a try... lol windows 98 you say? interesting.. :]

other than that you can probably get this zend studio 5 for any distro of linux & for windows 98. i'm just not able to think of many other distro's off the top of my head that have requirements that fit your pc that are newer. lol i dont really know what the requirements are for BSD..mm. last i checked they weren't all that extreme tho.. lol
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply Anarchy! I finally moved my laptop over to linux completly and I really wanted dreamweaver installed on here. I got it working on a computer I was using to text compatibility with my wireless card before hand, but havent on here yet. I was willing to move to another web design program as long as it had the colour codes of DW.

EDIT:

There is also BlueFish. Im going to try that next. They say its not very resource extensive.
http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, bluefish is a really nice html editor. thats what i'm using right now..it does have the text formatting / coloring for html / php.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts