Linux drivers and programs

• Burnt_Raven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Loc: South East England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently got a copy of Knoppix 3.9 but i cant access the internet using my wireless adaptor because the drivers are .exe, is there anyway i can convert .exe to something that linux can run?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Warsaw, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Errr, no... If you extract the EXE you'll still be left with Windows CAB and library files. You need to go to the vendor's Web site and download thier Linux drivers. Most better known brands support Linux now, otherwise you'll have to do some searching.
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Burnt_Raven

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i got Wine that lets you run windows programs on Linux (Pointless, but essential..) but it is a .deb file how do i install these.
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy
  • Loc: SoCal

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt Wine will help you out here. There are some open source drivers for wireless cards for Linux. What's the make and model of your wireless card?
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Burnt_Raven

Post 3+ Months Ago

Belkin 802.11b Wireless ADAPTOR
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Warsaw, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wine is far from pointless, and you can't use it to install drivers. Like I said, the EXE files are Windows specific.

The .deb file you have is a Debian package. Won't do you any good in Knoppix.

And you gave us the manufacturer of your hardware, not much else. Knowing the model number and interface type would allow us to point you in the right direction. Is it a USB adaptor? PCMCIA? PCI? What about the model number? F5D6020? F5D7010?

Hate to say it, but support for Belkin NIC's on Linux is currently lacking. They say the best wireless cards to use are Orinoco or Cisco. Knoppix supports a wide range of cards, and if your card isn't supported by default then it's hard telling if it will work.
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Burnt_Raven

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well ill be getting a full installation soon, so it doesnt matter about that anymore! Thanks for helping anyway! :D
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy
  • Loc: SoCal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Knoppix is based on Debian, so you can certainly install that .deb file. Just do:

dpkg -i belkindriverfile.deb

As for the lack of support, that's not exactly true. The ndiswrapper project supports many Belkin cards. I use it with my Linksys card and it works just fine.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts