Linux on DV6204eu Laptop

• Riaan_Smith
  • Born
  • Born
  • Riaan_Smith

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good day all,

I'm brand new with Linux, i recently downloaded Feroda 11, and installed it onto my laptop. Now everything is perfect, except my Wireless Card.. The little light infront of the laptop stays orange, as if the device is not enabled, but according to what i have gathered Linux has detected and installed it?? Please be patient with me, like i said, extremely new but very interested and keen to learn...

Thank you very much for your help!!

Riaan
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

What card is it? Or is it integrated into the laptop? If integrated is it the broadcom or the intel? Can you find out the specific hardware that is integrated?
If it's the broadcom, here's the Linux driver:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

You may need to run ndiswrapper otherwise.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=29659
  • Riaan_Smith
  • Born
  • Born
  • Riaan_Smith

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just installed the Broadcom STA driver, but that didnt work? Its actually worse now i think, cause the hardware isnt showing in network connections anymore... Its the broadcom, cause im using the AMD... How do i run ndiswrapper?
  • Riaan_Smith
  • Born
  • Born
  • Riaan_Smith

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh and my wireless is intergrated... Im downloading the ndiswrapper via the "yum" command now... im scratching in the dark here, have absolutely no idea what im doing :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't say to install the Broadcom if it wasn't broadcom. :) I asked if you could find out what hardware your laptop had integrated BEFORE you install. Hence the "IF it is broadcom...".

It's possible you did not even have a broadcom based wireless chipset.

What is the wireless chipset? That model had like 5 different types over the years.

ndiswrapper essentially permits you to use the standard windows drivers for Linux/Unix. You have to take the inf file from the driver set and place it somewhere on the system, then configure ndiswrapper to use it. The how-to is on that web link I gave you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts