Linux Enterprise Mailbox Service

• groovemoose
  • Born
  • Born
  • groovemoose

Post 3+ Months Ago

A friend of mine recently mentioned something to me about an enterprise-leve mailbox service for linux. Basically the purpose of the software would be to maintain mailboxes for many users without them actually having shell accounts on the server. It also stored email by having one file for every message instead of having the entire mailbox in one file. Does anyone on here have any idea what this software is? I really don't know anything about it, and my friend is gone now. thanks a bunch!
  • xtc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • xtc
  • Loc: London UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are several solutions that will do exactly what you want. the SuSe OpenExchange server is the one with all the support. However any underlying mail system that supports maildir or maildir++ mail storage (qmail/postfix/exim) can easily support the each mail as one file scenario.

If you want to build an easy to run and setup enterprise service that DOES NOT have over the table/phone support you can look at these solutions :

qmail -> qmail-scanner --> spamassassin ->> vpopmail --> qmailadmin
which is often referred to as the qmail-toaster.

With the above setup I use a mysql backend for the vpopmail setup then have ldap plugin to that so that I can have a shared address book. For the webmail i generally use sqirrelmail as its nice and easy/reliable.

There are also competing setups from Postfix and exim.

From my personal experience I always use qmail. However postfix will outperform qmail in some scenarios and can be easier to plugin modules like spamassassion. However If your smart you can just use the .qmail files in qmail to easily achieve the same setup.

I hope that helps you research further.

NjoY

http://forum.lucidnow.com/
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Student
  • Student
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Loc: A Cold Wet England

Post 3+ Months Ago

A bit more info in case anyone is vaguely interested.

After Novell bought Suze, they released the open-exchange project source under the GPL and its since became openXchange and can be ran under a variety of flavours of linux.

http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/

We tested out OpenExchange for a while and thought it was an excellent and well thought out product. But we weren't convinced that Novell were going to offer the support we would have needed to migrate and support this product in the business.

coincidentally I've just seen today a new Novell sponsored project called Hula which appears to be an attempt to converge OpenXchange with Thunderbird and Sunbird. (I've not had time to look at it in detail so there's every chance I could be wrong).

the press release is here.
http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2005/02/pr05014.html

Chris
  • groovemoose
  • Born
  • Born
  • groovemoose

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much for your replies! After doing some more research, it seems that qmail is precisely what I was looking for. It turns out that most people that take themselves seriously with respect to email services use this software (Yahoo, usa.net, netzero, paypal, etc.). Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, this software seems very well documented and well tested. have a good day everyone!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts