Linux Fedora Core 2 Firewall

• Nefrit
  • Nefrit

Post 3+ Months Ago

How effective is the firewall built into Fedora core 2?

Any configuration suggestions?

Should this be under linux/unix?
:roll: :?:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Core 2 is getting to be pretty old, it might be a good idea to upgrade to fedora 8 because it is the latest version.

As far as the firewall, the graphical utility to configure it should get you going pretty well. It is a whole lot of a heck better the the windows firewall. Obviously, turn off stuff for services you won't be using. Like if you have an ftp server, you probably could safely not allow incoming and outgoing smtp.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

considering the fact that support for fedora 2 is dead so getting system updates probably just isn't going to happen.. i would assume the firewall wouldn't be very effective at all. why would you choose fedora 2 when theres a vast number of more updated distros, such as F8 as mentioned above? i would recommend against using fc2 and just get something newer..nothing older than fc5
  • tom2002
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tom2002
  • Loc: Eugene, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you think that Fedora 8 configured as a firewall is better then a D-Link Router with NAT and SPI?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

tom2002 wrote:
Do you think that Fedora 8 configured as a firewall is better then a D-Link Router with NAT and SPI?

I am going to restate this one more time; bear in mind this is only my opinion.

If one knows what they are doing with *nix, and if one knows and fully understands the concepts of deep packet, stateful inspection then yes, I do feel as though a custom built firewall is better.

However that having been said, if someone tosses one together and does not understand *nix all that well nor packet filtering firewalls... it can and usually is worse. A little knowledge is a "bad thing".

The point of a firewall is to deter the low hanging fruit, so it may all be moot.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to read my way through a book called "Redhat Linux Firewalls". It's kind of an old book, but it still has just about everything you could want to know about iptables and everything. My biggest problem is that it is pretty dry reading, I keep dozing off.

I think the best bet would be to get to know your *nix box very well and built in a super good firewall, do that for all computers\servers, then put in a good hardware firewall at the gateway. Layering your security like that is best because it gives you redundancy and it will slow down an attacker a little bit, so maybe you can catch it before things really go for the worse.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts