Linux for my laptop

• manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

just thinking of converting my Laptop to run linux...

which linux distro would be best for a newbie (from windows) which is user friendly and has alot of drivers? My laptop is an Acer Aspire
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If nobody is going to recommend anything, I am going to recommend ubuntu. That's because it worked with everything regarding my laptop that I needed.

But as soon as somebody comes along and disagrees with me, take his advice.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sam Hughes wrote:
If nobody is going to recommend anything, I am going to recommend ubuntu.

ew.
dont do it if your graphics are provided by ATI. otherwise, itd probably be a pretty safe route to take.
my graphics are provided by ATI and *ubuntu does HORRIBLY with ATI video cards.
if not ubuntu, probably xandros..suse..or fedora. not in that particular order, but xandros is the most windows-like. i'd search for screenshots of all of the above and see which pleases your eyes most. and/or download all of the above and try them out. i do think it should be noted that when installing Fedora Core 6 on a friend of mine's desktop, it couldn't detect his wireless nic (linksys wireless g pci adapter) and after about an hour of trying to get it to work we gave up for the night and went out for some coffee ^_^ however, i haven't tried getting wireless working in any of the other mentioned distros.
and do note, software installation / management is quite different in linux from windows. in linux, theres a package management program that you use to install / uninstall / update your software. so you dont have to go to the website and download / double click an exe ;)
unless of course, the software is not provided in any repositories that your package manager has access to. but now we're getting much more in depth than your original inquiry so i'm going to hit the submit button now :]
  • sidharth
  • Student
  • Student
  • sidharth
  • Loc: india

Post 3+ Months Ago

suse will be the best option ...............just use like windows
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

sidharth wrote:
suse will be the best option ...............just use like windows

and exactly what are you basing this judgment on?
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

Possibly fanboyism.. nothing whatsoever against suse. My inclination would be to try a few of the live distros and see which work well with your hardware. Then make decisions based on the outcome of the tests. with laptops and wireless networking I have found puppy to be very good at the network side of things. Getting it to install on a lappy harddrive can be difficult, possibly not at all without a lot of configuring the bootloader. So far testing revealed some shortcomings in all the distros, though most (not all) find and auto-setup the networking just fine.
Any major distro should do, maybe debian being one of the harder to set up. It isn't much effort to grab a few and try on a suck it and see basis.

As for the new suse remastered from 26? october.. It's a major improvement and close to the best full distro I have seen for everything working "out of the box" I'm thinking of moving over from my trusty debian at the next upgrade (yes... I'm that impressed) :)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, i do like the newest production from suse. although, the first time i tried installing it something completely crazy happened, and certain buttons were normal sized. but everything else was just insanely large. like, the right click menu...4 sections took up my entire monitor. it was so agitating..but after a reinstall its working fine so far. i think the problem was with installing multiple desktop managers from the beginning...i dont know why that would do this, but when only selecting one..(i think)..it worked fine. my cousin had the same problem on his pc with the large text.
but i would definitely have to agree with your so appropriately stated, "suck it and see" method. hahah

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts