Linux Hangs on Boot up

• Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Guys,

I'm installing red hat (v8) on a Dell Poweredge SC420. After each installation when rebooting and selecting Linux as the preferred operating system the machine keeps hanging half way through its boot sequence. The last statement echoed to the screen reads as follows ...

ide0 at 0x1f0-0x3f6 on irq 14

Obviously total rubbish ... but does it ring any bells out there? I'm assuming its a problem with the hard drive but what can I do about it? The server is designed to take red hat (even an old v8).

Many thanks.

Prime
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

what are the specs of your server? because from what i've seen online, there'd be no reason for you to use such an old and outdated distro. why dont you used the new free distro that RedHat supports, Fedora Core 4?
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I'm sure it's referring to a block address on your hard drive.

But, that doesn't mean it's necessarily the HD's fault. Linux always echos it's procedures during startup. That may simply be the last part of the startup performed before the hang.

Things to check
-----------------------
Media (Install CD) condition
Hard Drives
Hardware compatibility

Does it actually say error anywhere? You could check the kernel logs to to see why it halted... It should say...
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I can't use Fedora, it's bleeding edge. The boss wants me to install various flavours of linux on this low-end server before making a decision on which version to use on the rack-mounted production server for a specific application we've developed. Unfortunately it's not my area of expertise and I may have bitten off more than I can chew :shock: :oops: Where are the kernel logs :?: :oops:

Anybody know the difference between Red Hat Enterprise (AS) and Red Hat (ES)?

Cheers, Prime ...
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

The kernel logs are files created by the Kernel which tell which, if any, errors occured. It also logs standard warnings and other access things.

BTW, the kernel is the core part of the system (Linux or Windows) which basically controls your computer's hardware.

Anyway, the logs can be found somewhere in
/var/logs/messages

If you can get to a command prompt type:
Code: [ Select ]
cd /var/logs/messages
ls
cat log_file_name_to_view | less
  1. cd /var/logs/messages
  2. ls
  3. cat log_file_name_to_view | less

That opens the log directory
lists all files
and finally, the cat command just views the file.
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Casey.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

RedHat ES is limited to servers with no more than 2 processors and 16GB RAM.

Using such an outdated distribution, you're opening yourself up to quite a few security bugs that have been fixed in the 4 or so years since RHL8. Also, if you don't have the expertise to manage that server, you'll be spending quite a few hours ($) in doing things that would take a more modern system seconds (or that a more modern system would do automatically).

I'd still go for FC4 as Anarchy suggested. I've had 2 in a production environment since it was released around 6 months ago (not my decision, I normally wouldn't put a brand new distro into production - but that's another story) and neither have had any problems.

If your boss needs something that's been around for a while, use Fedora Core 3 (which is used by practically every dedicated server host I can think of) or even RedHat 9.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts