Linux Install without CD ROM

• new4linux
  • new4linux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Guys..

I have a windows running PC. The internal disk is arrrox. 200GB.I have external USB Disk (250GB) connected to it. The CD-ROM on this PC is bad. This is where I have problem in installing Linux just by placing Red-Hat installation Disk on CD-Tray and begin the installation.I don't have that option as CD-ROM is bad.

Now I want to install Linux( I don't need dual boot ) . I have all the 4 Red-Hat Linux Disk copied on both (Internal as well as External Disk) disk. How I can install the linux .I want to remove windows and let just Linux run on this PC.

How I can get the installation going?

TIA
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• NaNoBoT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have access to another computer, you can do a network install, read up on this and print everything you might need before commencing though...
  • new4linux
  • new4linux

Post 3+ Months Ago

for now I don;t have another Computer to use that option. Thanks for the suggetion though..
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

you could possibly do an install over the internet. i believe you could put the main files needed on a usb flash drive and then boot from the flash drive and then as you installed it would download everything from the net.
although i tried this once and it took longer to do it that way then to just download all of the iso's and burn them so i rebooted and did that.

ebay? http://computers.search.ebay.com/usb-cd ... 20cdQ2drom

$10...or go to a local pc parts shop and see if you can get one used... or even find a friend that has a cd-rom drive, pop it out for 45 min and install. its not much work..you just need a nice friend, lol. a lot of people are pc-aphobic.
  • David31337
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • David31337

Post 3+ Months Ago

borrow a mates CD drive? Or like AnarchY SI said pop down a borrow one form your lochal PC repair shop. They might even give you one!
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a similar situation.

I'm sitting beside a Fujitsu Stylistic 3400 tablet PC which is currently running win2k

Specs:
400MHz IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® III 256KB L2 Cache
192MB PC133 SDRAM
10.4" TFT XGA (1024x768)
2.5MB High Speed SDRAM video
3.5" external FDD
6GB, Ultra ATA HDD (I have 1 20GB from a laptop that will takes it's place.
PC Card Type II Slot
PS/2 Keyboard
PS/2 Mouse
RJ-11 modem jack
100Base-T Fast Ethernet LAN
Fast IR (IrDA) port
Stereo headphone jack
Microphone jack
Floppy disk drive port
Video Port (DDC compliant, VGA port)
IR-Keyboard

Definately not a blazing fast machine, but it was free and works, so wth, eh :-]

I'd very much like to try running one of the linux distros on it, but without having a CD drive port, it's a bit of a problem.

I'd thought of taking the 20 GB drive and inserting it into my Desktop and loading the OS while on that, but I figured there might be some conflicts with the OS being loaded on a second machine.

An associate has a serial port HDD that might work, but he's having difficulty finding it.

I bought one of those 2.5-3.5" drive adapters and it seems to work, but the drive doesn't seem to want to boot, in the tablet, after I've installed an os onto it.

Any ideas?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts