Linux Installation Problems

• Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've just tried installing Mandrake Linux 9.1 but I keep getting this error shortly into the process:
"Error installing packages which-2.14mdk.i586"
I also tried Bloody Head Covering (Red Hat) a while back but some sort of error occured then, too. My friend then used those same discs to install it on his computer and it works fine. What sort of hardware problems could be contributing to this?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you check the ISO's before burning them? I hade no problem with my mdk installation, sounds like an ISO problem though.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the disk installed properly on someone elses' system the ISO's should be good.

My first question would be does Geekette's system meet the requirements and go from there.

Geekette, are you running a clean install, or are you dumping over another OS, or a separate partition, etc...ad nauseaum?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not really sure but looks like her friend used redhat and shes trying to use mdk now...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look more closely at her words:

Geekette wrote:
My friend then used those same discs to install it on his computer and it works fine. What sort of hardware problems could be contributing to this?

Note the "used the same discs"
---------------------------------------
Revision:

OK...just looked again - now I see what you're saying - she is a bit unclear which disks the friend used - could be either now that I look at it closer.
---------------------------------------
Damned pronouns! *lol -- which disk does "it" refer to? :D
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehehe I think since she is refferring to it in the same paragraph as redhat, that it would be the redhat disks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess she needs to tell us, doesn't she? *grins...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even if the disks "it" refers to are the RedHat, she still couldn't do those either and the friend could. Still seems to point to the problem being elsewhere...now that I think about it for the third time.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps, but I had a package problem like that and it was due to my iso not burning correctly (lousy burner)
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol, I'm sorry that I was so vague. Yes, I was referring to the Red Hat discs when saying that my friend used them to install on his computer. It could be the ISO's on the mdk (I did not burn it, my friend did), but that does not explain the problem with Red Hat.
When I tried Red Hat it was a clean install, but now I'm trying to set up a dual-booting system.
The friend that has been helping me has no idea what might be wrong, and he says that he has not come across problems like this before. I did not get a chance to read the error that Red Hat gave me because he exited before I got the chance. ::grumbless:: Now he's pretty much left me on my own trying to figure this thing out. I tried burning another copy of Mandrake to see if I got the same error, but Nero is not cooperating! I think Gates is using supernatural powers to keep me from getting Linux. :P
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you ever tried using System Commander for multi-boot? I've used it for the last year and never had a problem installing any OS.

http://www.v-com.com/product/sc7_ind.html

It's around $55 US retail, but woth the investment in my opinion.
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm rather broke at the moment, I just bought this computer a little less than a month ago. My parents won't let me get a job or give me allowance, so it's rather difficult for me to make money. It does look like a good program, though, perhaps I shall try it if I can ever manage to get some money again.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had no problem using lilo with mdk 9.1 and windows 98. Download the md5 checksums and use them to check if the ISO's are working (or have your friend). Either way It sounds like they are corrupt, try formatting/installing it again and see if you get the same error...
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, will do. Thanks much! :D
  • ankur
  • Born
  • Born
  • ankur

Post 3+ Months Ago

plzzzzzzzzz help after inserting the cd 1 of redhat linux5 and entering to login the problem come that "ide fail:opcode was unkown".IS this hard disks problem or motherboard problem?
  • ankur
  • Born
  • Born
  • ankur

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi im Ankur from india.
i face this problem in installing redhat linux5 after inserting cd1 of linux5 and entering in login
"ide fail:opcode was unkown".
please help and tell the solution to my problem
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best answer I could find is..

Quote:
I have seen several causes for this; three of the most common are:
1.) A failing disk; run 'smartctl -a' and see what SMART tells you about the
disk's health;
2.) A disk that got 'scribbled' due to a power interruption to the drive
(either through a failing power supply, or an actual electrical blip or
failure) while the drive was writing; the manufacturer's 'recovery' program
can typically remap sectors around this sort of damage;
3.) A corrupted filesystem that has linkages outside the drive's boundaries;
if the drive tries to seek past the end of the disk you get this. The LBA
numbers you have would seem to rule this out, but you didn't say how big the
disk was.

In short, an UncorrectableError is exactly what it says it is; it couldn't
read a sector it tried to read.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology
Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute
1 PARI Drive
Rosman, NC 28772
(828)862-5554
http://www.pari.edu

My usual way of attacking this issue is to check all cables and jumper settings. Unplug a few things and see when normality resumes.. If it's a HDD causing the problem I often run killdisk on the first 10% of the drive to kill the possibility of a corrupt MBR and if that doesn't sort the problem replace the offending drive, often using it for storage partitioned backwards.
  • omeshdharni
  • Born
  • Born
  • omeshdharni

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to install Redhat ES 4 from my bootable CD which i have but how to install is there any E-book for individual Redhat ES 4 installation or any instructions. please help me
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

What can I say about RHEL4?

It was poor then (02/2005) and is obsolete now. Hardware support is not good. Generally it was canned by the reviewers..
You will not find much help with installing an outmoded commercial linux distribution.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/ente ... all-guide/

I don't expect installation to be easy........ The only reason for using an obsolete version of linux is on very old hardware.. Mine is getting on 9 years old and running up to date debian without any problems.
Try something more up to date, and non commercial. ;-) There are tons to chose from.. all of which will have far better hardware support than that old turkey. << my personal feelings.. other opinions are available
(I know some people still have it.. It's always been a real pain whenever I have encountered it on a callout, due to redhat obsoleting packages soon after the support period has ended)

http://www.linux.com/articles/42732
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Janrocks wrote:
all of which will have far better hardware support than that old turkey. << my personal feelings.. other opinions are available

For what it's worth, I think it's a turkey too.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts