Linux installation

• Rifat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rifat

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a computer (a slow one) with 2 hard drives one of them is about 10GB and the other is 40GB. I want to install Linux into the latter hard drive, so do you guys have any tips as to how to go about it so everything runs smoohtly. I'm only going to be using Linux for school programming projects and general use of the internet. Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• sleeper
  • Born
  • Born
  • sleeper
  • Loc: liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you have 2 HDs and you are going to use the one only for linux then it is easy...
completely remove the other (so you will not do anything by mistake) make the installation as usual, and then reinstall the other HD.
Then configure the Boot loader of the linux to boot both linux and windows HD.
Or don't change anything and change the BIOS settings to choose which HD you will boot... (the first is better)
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

as long as you know what hard drive is what it wont be nessasairy to take it out. just a waste of time. and depending what distros you use most will take care of the bootloader for you. if you do have windows (which im guessing you got rid of or are planning to since its an old slow computer) it will detect it. it will ask whether you want to erase it or leave it alone so dont worry about it. most linux installations are pretty straight forward (with the exception of gentoo. if your a linux noob stay away from gentoo). how about letting us know what distro you plan to use

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts