Linux Installion Hardware prep

• metagamez
  • Born
  • Born
  • metagamez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello and thank you for checking out my post. I am considering installing Gentoo on my windows 7 machine, the goal is to have my HDD partitioned into two 150gb partitions with windows as my main OS, and Gentoo installed on the second partition. I would like to have windows on the 1st partition, and then Linux on the other not even recognizing my windows partition. My question is can I do this and if so do I just install windows as normal on partition 1, and then follow the Gentoo handbook and install it on the un-partitioned space? Do I need to partition the 2nd partition and format while/before installing windows 7? I really just need a little guidance before I jump into this. I apologize for any inconsistency in my questions. I have a decent foundation as far as computer knowledge, however, it is very basic therein.

Thank you all for your time.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've not done this with Windows 7 as the base yet, but I have done it with nearly every other previous version of the OS, so I am going out on a short limb here to say 'yes, it is possible'.

You have to install windows first -- it's MBR doesn't like playing with another OS being around first. Historically, I have used something like Partition Magic to create a blank partition on the drive, though maybe the disk manager in Win 7 can shrink the current partition? I don't know off hand, as I have not tried. Either way, create a blank partition in some fashion, then install the next OS to that partition. If it asks you to install a boot loader, say yes. (NOTE: It definitely should ask you -- I have not installed Gentoo, but every time I install FreeBSD it does. I know Red Hat and Suse do as well.

The next time yuo boot after completion, you should see the boot loader asking if you want Windows or Gentoo. Choose, and move along.
  • Satwant
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bangalore

Post 3+ Months Ago

metagamez wrote:
Hello and thank you for checking out my post. I am considering installing Gentoo on my windows 7 machine, the goal is to have my HDD partitioned into two 150gb partitions with windows as my main OS, and Gentoo installed on the second partition. I would like to have windows on the 1st partition, and then Linux on the other not even recognizing my windows partition. My question is can I do this and if so do I just install windows as normal on partition 1, and then follow the Gentoo handbook and install it on the un-partitioned space? Do I need to partition the 2nd partition and format while/before installing windows 7? I really just need a little guidance before I jump into this. I apologize for any inconsistency in my questions. I have a decent foundation as far as computer knowledge, however, it is very basic therein.

Thank you all for your time.

First You need to Add Window 7 as it bootloader did not recognized Linux.
Next you need to install gentoo on second partition but make sure you will install latest release of Gentoo as it will surly has support with window 7. For simplicity let Gentoo choose bootloader(lilo or grub), and let it install on mbr.
And Yes, with linux u can browse your full hard disk, but with window 7 only part which u have in Fat32 or ntfs file system. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts