Linux on Laptops

• CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking to purchase a new laptop... but it has to be compatable with Linux. The biggest thing I'm looking for it to make sure that suspend works on Linux (I use Mandrake 10.1)

Does anyone know where I can find out information about which laptops are best with Linux (along with being all-around good laptops)? For those of you who use Linux on laptops, could you let me know what model you're using and what success you've had with it?

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I run Fedora 3 on an old ECS GN440 laptop without too many problems, the big issue with laptops is getting all your harware working, modem, IR and wireless can all cause problems. There are quite a few web resources related to Linux on laptops and you'll probably be able to find someone out there running a system trouble free with your chosen distro.

http://www.linux-laptop.net/
http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html

Your other option is to buy a laptop with Mandrake pre-installed

http://www.emperorlinux.com/
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

This would probably be best answered in the *nix forum.
  • xtc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • xtc
  • Loc: London UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I have two compaq/HP laptops working without any problems. One is the NX7000 and one is the Evo N400c. Both of these work without any problems with slackware 10.x out of the box (eg it wont crash at startup like I had with some other distributions). Once it was installed I had to recompile the kernel to get the best performance/functionality.

Recompile with Pentium M processors and speed step etc so that you dont just waste the battery when your portable. The IR, Wireless etc all works without any problems. However the SDCARD slot on the NX7000 fails to work.
  • Sheepdip
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Castle Anthrax

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as I know, IBM guarantees Linux compatibility on all new ThinkPads. I would guess that it would be the same on ThinkPads manufactured in the past 2 or 3 years as well.

I checked IBM's site, and here is a link to a a page showing the ThinkPads and PC's that are Linux compatible.

Both of my Linux installs (I've done two) have been on ThinkPads, and I've even installed it on a 5+ year old ThinkPad and it runs great.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Redhat 9 on a Toshiba Satellite, it works good, other than the vid card drivers (which is fixable, I downloaded the new drivers from ATI, but I am not too good with Linux and gave up on trying to install them).
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bgnn32 - If you update to the Fedora Core your find native support for your graphics card.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool, I will try that
  • nonamehidden
  • Loc: Savannah, GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can try to find more info about Balance Digital Technology product.
Use :
Lindows/Linspire version 4.5

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts