Linux + Macbook

• Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

when i first got my macbook i dual booted windows. that quickly proved to be a terrible idea for windows ran my macbook so hot it would crash. my question is how would ubuntu fair on the not so well cooled macbook?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

It'll severly damage your macbook: The time will come when you've had it with Ubuntu and grab the nearest part of it to throw across the room - which will be the macbook. If you want to run a decent distro on it, I'd suggest Fedora Core - like I always do when someone asks my opinion of Ubuntu.

My real question here though is why bother? The Mac OS so closely resembles Linux that it seems a waste. Using the OS the macbook was designed for will probably yield a better user experience than running even FC5 on it. If you're just trying to learn something about Linux, that's one thing, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyday use.

I must admit, after seeing a co-worker's in action, I'm tempted to go buy one myself - which is a really rare statement for me.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would definitely second that recommendation. I have been able to install every application that I've used on Debian that I've wanted to use on my iMac. Then again, it's mostly development software -- I have 4 different versions of Emacs installed right now.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lets not forget that it's essentially FreeBSD under the covers -- so it's real unix. They also moved the ports collection over to MAC OS X as well; so installing source just became even easier.

I too am tempted to get one. If I had not just been refreshed by my company to a T60P, which I have running FBSD and that other OS not to be named, I just might.

Cheers.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

im actualy a debian user not an ubuntu one. i am not very fond of fedora core either. i used fedora 4 i believe and i dont remember what it was but there was something that really irked me. if only i could remember what it was. anyway i chose ubuntu cause ive been feeling pretty lazy and didnt want to have to cusomize much and the wireless works on it with no problem. and its not that i dont like osx (i mean really why else would i have bought a macbook) but i like linux very much as well and i wanted to try to get xgl on it as well. it would look really nice on the macbooks screen. i know you guys arent fond of gui (well actually daemonguy) but i am. terminal is nice too though its just not pretty. and i highly recommend a macbook. my only complaint is the lack of a graphics card. its intigrated and its terrible.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts