Linux Newb

• ckandes1
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ckandes1
  • Loc: Daytona Beach, FL (US)

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am sick of windows. for the last few months all i have been doing is trying to keep the computers in my house running, it's a constant hassle. i was looking through my dad's linux software collection and i decided to put Mandrake 10.0 on my laptop and main PC. on the laptop it is the only OS, and on the PC we also have ME (pity me). anyway, obviously i'm not used to the setup of linux, so i have no idea what i'm doing. If you have any tips, please go ahead and speak freely.

but first off.. i need help with program installation of rpm's. it seems simple: you click the rpm and it asks you if you want to install. you say yes. it installs. done. but then i look around and its like nothing ever happened. i dont see a newly installed program anywhere. where is it? did it not work? (programs i tried to instal: aim (linux version) and gaim)
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

since you have laptop, and you want to put linux on it as your main OS i suppose you can play with it without any problem.
So go go go throw yourself into it, play with it, brake it, reinstall it,... ;D

that's atleast how i learned it :p

if you have problems i would go to http://www.linuxquestions.org that's prolly one of the est places to solve your linux problems :)

oh GL :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, depending on which Window Manager you are using you may have to update it to search for newly installed programs. YMMV. See the docs for your WM (KDE, Gnome, etc.) for more information.
In the meantime, you can open a command line terminal, and type
gaim
for gaim.

It should come up.

Cheers, and good luck!
  • ckandes1
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ckandes1
  • Loc: Daytona Beach, FL (US)

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i noticed if i click on the home/hard dick directory thingy (equivalent to my documents or my computer on windows.. wtf is it called on linux? lol)

anyway i can type in like file:usr/bin/gaim and it'll execute the program and i can get on. but is there a way to just get it to be in the right place (next to that kopete program in the instant messagin file)?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, so you are using KDE (I can tell by the Kopete reference).

A few ways to do it, but the easiest I think is to right click on the desktop->Create New->File->Link to Application.

Change the icon by clicking on it, Type in the name of the app and click on 'application'. In the 'Command' block, type the word 'gaim' -- or the full path to gaim, if the path is not in your PATH. Click 'OK'.

New icon appears.

Another way is to click the "Start" button, (with the 'K' in it)-> Settings-> Menu Editor. This way it is in the "Start" menu.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts