Linux Pricing

• Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking to put linux on my Win XP PC, in fact, I already have 40GB partitioned and dedicated for that purpose. But I wen on Redhat's homepage, and there saying it's $2500 for the Desktop OS! I know this can't be right, cause all the tech geeks (like me) around the world who use linux are not floating on money. Anyway, I could use some help finding a free version somewhere maybe. After all, it is opensource, so it should be free.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well,

to state it clear, RedHat was idd free but they decided to concentrate themself only on the server part of linux, and that is a version you have to pay for ( ppl don't like to have open surce solutions because you don't pay for it, so it must not be good. that's what they think, go figure )

When RedHat decided to go serverside all the way and actually selling only against payment, they gave the source code of the last free redhat to the community and that was the beginning of Fedora linux. The distro based on redhat free for download ( they'r at version Core 3, think test version atm )

hope this cleared thigs up a bit :)

idd 90% percent of the linux distros are free, but all of them are open source idd (opensource is not perse free and vice-versa)

If you want to have a look at linux ditros availeble atm i would deffo go to
http://www.distrowatch.com

you will crtainly find your flavour there ;D
GL
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

eah, that does help. thanx. I was afraid that I was gonna have to download it on bittorrent or something.
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

glad it helped :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's a plethora of other Linux distributions as well, SuSe, Slackware, Debian, etc.

Not to mention FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD for Unix.

Cheers.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

My networking prof. has set up a website, http://cit.stcc.edu if you click on the link for the networking class you will find all kinds of open source stuff, I think he also has .iso's up for red hat 9.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are in to red hat, get fedora, it is pretty much the same thing, but not as stable, but it's still going to be more stable then a windows box, but probably won't be good for something that has a lot of load and has to be up 24/7, with a lot of stuff going on. Fedora is known, pretty much, as the free version of red hat.

You can get that and many other distros at
http://linuxiso.org
  • cheyrou
  • Student
  • Student
  • cheyrou
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

For me Fedora is like 90% redhat so there will not be a lot of difference.
  • shadow
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dubya wrote:
eah, that does help. thanx. I was afraid that I was gonna have to download it on bittorrent or something.

I downloaded Fedora with Bittorrent always and get speeds of 300k+ its really the best way to do it I have not gotten a bad download either.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts