Linux Programming

• Kei
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm tried programming in Windows and I want to try something new. I'm seeing the fast growth of Linux OS. I want to know how do people develop programs for this OS? What Programming Language it is or is there a known resource or e-book about Linux Programming. Thanks =)
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

with the excepetion of visual basic, almost any programming language available on windows has an equivelant on linux.

C++, Delphi, PHP, perl, pascal, and many others all have linux equivelants, which, for the most parts have identical names :lol:
(The linux versioon of delphi is called [i]kylix]/i])

What I recommend you do is download netbeans at
http://www.netbeans.org/downloads/index.html
and learn java. Your apps will work on almost any OS, including windows, linux, mac OS X, mac OS 9, and solaris.

If you want web development then use PHP, it's the best.
  • hari
  • Born
  • Born
  • hari
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Visual Basic's equivalent is also available in Linux and it is called as Glade.

You can chech out this URL for learning Linux.
http://www.littleigloo.org/tutorial.php3
  • Kei
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does that mean that I can run any Programs that I coded using Borland C++ can work in linux? I'm sorry I asked. I'm currently having problems in installing linux on my machine. I really want to experiment a lot and and would like to contribute some programs in Linux! =) By the way thanks for the replies!
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kei wrote:
Does that mean that I can run any Programs that I coded using Borland C++ can work in linux? I'm sorry I asked. I'm currently having problems in installing linux on my machine. I really want to experiment a lot and and would like to contribute some programs in Linux! =) By the way thanks for the replies!

I doubt it - anything that uses the windows API is not going to work on linux without a lot of modification.

IMO the best language is java because java is cross platform out of the box. Have a look at my link to netbeans.
  • dr_geek
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: london town

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
I doubt it - anything that uses the windows API is not going to work on linux without a lot of modification.

Not so! check out: http://www.winehq.com/
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wine is about 5% complete, and linking a project to wine can often take more time than reweriting it from scratch would have. You're still going to require a lot of modification, even if you use wine.
  • dr_geek
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: london town

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have not used Wine, but according to http://frankscorner.org/index.php?POSTN ... fea88b7005 (which seems a very popular/mature web site) you don't even have to recompile your windows apps to get them up and running on Linux with Wine!
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO if you want to run windows programs, run windows.

But like rjstephens said, there are many programming languages you can use for linux that you could also use in windows.

Not sure what language you were programming in but an example would be C++ console applications, most of those (unless it uses windows.h and other windows only things)will work in linux, but you won't be able to compile it in windows then just copy it over to linux. You will need to take the source and compile it in linux.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts