Linux Samba Netbios name over WLAN

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm running Samba for a file share for my office computers. All my wired computers can search the network and find the file share. Also, they have the hostname/netbios name of the file server which is nice. The problem is with my wireless computer. My router distributes two separate ranges for LAN and WLAN clients, so my wired computers along with the file server have 192.168.x.x addresses and my wireless computers have 172.16.31.x. I've added firewall rules for ports 389,137,138,139,and 445 for my router and my file server but I think my file server is looking at the wireless clients as external networks maybe even though I also setup to allow those ports for external networks. I think I was able to connect a shared folder by using the file server's ip address, but when I search the windows network nothing shows up. I'm connecting with windows clients xp/7.

Is there something I need to setup in my router/firewall? My routers have always used the same addresses for wired and wireless and I've never had problems before, so I think I need to setup a rule for my router to allow WLAN to LAN.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, I do think the problem is with connecting a wireless client to a domain.

My wireless workstations get assigned by the router an ip of 172.16.31.x and the wired workstations along with the domain controller are 192.168.168.x. So, I need someway to get my WLAN to communicate with the LAN. I already set the firewall to allow all services from my WLAN to LAN, but I guess I need to setup a NAT rule or a route, but I'm not sure how to do it cause the router/firewall assigns them both and the LAN and WLAN are both setup as zones.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts