linux samba server

• crazywuv
  • Born
  • Born
  • crazywuv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone I go to school for computer networking and now I am takin advanced linux. We were experimenting with the samba server (connectin different os's) and we were able to share folders but I was tryin to have another os logon to my domain but I couldn't get it to work. Has anyone got samba server to work as a domain? And does anyone know how to see ur computer name on a linux system? Thank you all. If have answers to any of my questions im me. Aim=crazywuv yim=crazywuv11. Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

The whole reason for a forum is so that others may see the answers to the questions as well and either remark on them or add their own comments. Emailing you would defeat the whole purpose.

On topic: What exactly are you trying to do? If you're trying to set up Windows XP Home to be a domina client, you have more steps to take. To join other Windows systems to a samba domain, it's just like joining them to a Windows domain. If you don't know how to do this, you should probably look over the samba howto ( http://www.tldp.org ).

As to whether anyone has gotten samba aserver to work as a domain: Do you mean as a domain controller (PDC) or as a domian client? Either way, the answer would be yes, many people have gotten it to work.

Finally, to seeing "your" computer name on a Linux system: What are you tring to se it with? Are you trying to browse the network through nautilus? Using smbclient? Is the PDC set up to allow network browsing? Does the user you're trying to connect as have the authority to do so - being that the user exists within samba and not just as a Linux system user?
  • crazywuv
  • Born
  • Born
  • crazywuv

Post 3+ Months Ago

well this213 i was asking what else does the linux root has to do besides modify the smb.conf file to have a win xp client to logon on to the domain? The reason I was asking how to see your computer name on a Linux machine was to try to use that from xp to join the domain. Oh and sorry this213 if i gave ways of contacting me other then to post a message on here. you dont have to use it but thank you for responding.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

First, you need to already know the machine name, and you need to create a user for it within Samba (the machine name followed by a $).

So, essentially:
Code: [ Select ]
# useradd machine_name$
# smbpasswd -am machine_name
  1. # useradd machine_name$
  2. # smbpasswd -am machine_name

Then you can add your regular users
Code: [ Select ]
# smbpasswd -a username

Once you've done this you can add your XP machines. In XP, right click on My Computer, then click Properties->Network Identification and enter the proper information for your domain.

This all figures you've already set up the samba server correctly. You can see samples of how to do so here: http://daniel.fiser.cz/?go=samba

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts