Linux in my School

• sartori
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sartori

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,
Ok I want to get my school to go to Linux in a classroom, the programming room. I am making a paper to give to the big boss that makes these decisions. I just need to know some things... LIKE
Does linux work with Novell and their databasing?
Does linux have a program that works much like DeepFreeze or if not does linux have the same abilities that DeepFreeze does?
Would we have to have a different server for linux than we are using right now for our windows?
I am sure that most of these answers are in my favor, go to linux, but I just want to know what everyone else is coming up with.
P.S. is there a way to get a free, or cheap, copy of linux that can be used for roughly 30 computers and not get in trouble with the law?
I don't know much but I am learning as I go.. If anyone can help me please do. Thanks
Sart
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Freakyp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: M'boro. TN, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, I'm not really up to date with all of the server/database stuff with linux but to answer one of your questions...

Quote:
P.S. is there a way to get a free, or cheap, copy of linux that can be used for roughly 30 computers and not get in trouble with the law?

"YES", infact out of all of the hundreds of differnet types of linux distros there is only one that I can think of that would cost you anything and that would be "Lindows" (PIECE O' CRAP), so basically any version of linux you ever see you can safely assume it is free.... (NO: cd keys, liscenses, prices, b.gates, restrictions) here is a link to them:

http://linuxiso.org
And I think it is safe to say that yes, linux would be a better choice for servers and databases, because most linux distros are built with security in mind... unlike "Windows"... I hope this helps :wink:
I recomend using redhat or fedora core for the clients and maybe netBSD for the servers... well, actually almost any distro of linux will work good for a server....

PS. Just as a bonus, tell your boss that you could install linux on evry single computer in the entire campus and it will cost $0..... that might sway his decision.... Good Lunk man :wink:
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure about the database/server stuff. But I have a few things to say:
You say it's a programming class? If it's windows programming (like my school) having linux machine wouldn't be a good idea.

another thing to think about it that who is doing the maitnence(sp?) and all the fun stuff? Are the computer guys at your school capable? One of the network/IT at my high school was taught by my cisco teacher, and the teacher says this IT guy failed his CCNA exam a few times....

Microsofts arguments for linux vs. windows is usually you will have to retrain everyone and get different IT people, which will probably cost more then just staying with windows.

Also since it's a classroom, that means the students will have to learn how to use it, and it's a programming class, not a unix essentials class.

My adive would be just to (depends on your school setup) set up a few computers with linux and move slowly.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

To answer another of your questions in some respect, this may be something beneficial for you to include in your arguement if needed:

http://www.novell.com/licensing/indemnity/

Here is another:

http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/Nov ... ory01.html

A Google search for novell+linux will provide you more information than you'll ever want to know.
  • Troubadour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just so you know,

Novell recently bought Suse Linux.

So you will have no problems with a Linux desktop and Novell server.

Infact Novell is bringing out two version of Netware.
Well not actually two versions...
they will continue to have all the modules running on the Netware kernel, as well as porting all tools over to run on Suse Enteprise server.

Novell, has actually started a project to shift all employees desktop PC's to Suse linus with Gnome desktop. (they inherited GNOME when they bought ximian)

But there are a lot of training / support issues surrounding a swap from windows to linux... in the long term it might become a good project to run... but I think you will have hassles trying to provide a business case for a short term (read instant) swap over to linux for a whole lab.

Be sure to let us know how you go though!

TroubZ
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

sartori wrote:
Does linux work with Novell and their databasing?

Linux, Novell and NDS/eDirectory? Yes. Also note: Novell purchased Suse and is strongly pushing Linux/GNU software. It is likely NetWare will eventually be replaced completely with something like "LinuxWare".

sartori wrote:
Does linux have a program that works much like DeepFreeze or if not does linux have the same abilities that DeepFreeze does?

What does DeepFreeze do?

sartori wrote:
Would we have to have a different server for linux than we are using right now for our windows?

You can't run both on the same computer at the same time (if that's what you mean). Can Linux replace Windows? I like to think so.

sartori wrote:

Go to http://www.gnu.org and familiarize yourself with the concept of free software. It goes without saying that you are required to follow the terms of the software licence with any package.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

the only reason you see people selling linux on ebay is because they can - burried somewhere in the GPL it says it is ok for the software to be distributed for a small fee, or something similar

and the only reason people buy it is because they either don't know better or they have a modem and don't want to wait for it to download (I did that once - 1.2GB on a 33.6k is not pleasent)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

there are a lot of distributions that will mail you a copy
  • Freakyp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: M'boro. TN, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

yah, and depending on the distro and where you get it, it will only cost about $5-15 for them to ship you the CDs.... I did that a while back and it worked fine for me.... :wink:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts